mngrdngrl

starting herb plants...

Hello all! I'm new here and new to gardening as well. I tried to start some plants from seedlings that I got at the farmers market. It seems like in the three weeks that I have had them, they haven't moved an inch. Now the resemary and mint as drying up from the bottom of the plant to the top. The pepper plants are just leaning toward the sun and not growing either. It's odd...

Well anyway, I was considering just starting over, but if I am growing indoors under a flourescent light, is it too late to try again with the herbs?
Any advice is appreciated.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

If you're starting with plants, and intend to grow indoors, it is not too late to try again. However, if your plants are leaning toward the sun, while under a florescent light, you probably need to improve your lighting setup. Maybe you need more lights, or need to move them closer to the plants, or maybe you need a different type of florescent light bulbs. I don't grow plants under lights ... yet! It's been a long time dream of mine, though. :)

mngrdngrl

Thanks for the response. I am not growing them under lights yet, I have a flourescent light in my kitchen that might work. Right now, they are just sitting in front of my huge south facing window. I think though that it may just be that it is too cold in my apt. What with the AC and all. The only plant that seems to be flourishing is the oregano plant that I got. Other than that, the rest are looking pretty puny. I might just start again.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

When plants are grown under lights, the lights have to be just a few inches above the plants. I don't think light from a ceiling fixture would be intense enough. You could, I suppose, install several lights on the ceiling, and increase the intensity that way.

I don't have a light garden, although it has been a dream of mine for many years. I did finally find some simple plans for building one. They're easy enough that I'll be able to do it myself. :D

mngrdngrl

off to google light gardening... I just got here yet I already LOVE this board! Thanks!

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”