gimmiegators
Newly Registered

WHY ARE BASIL LEAVES CURLING?

Why are my basil leaves curling? I live in South Alabama and it's very hot and dry, so I water almost every morning. Found info that curling leaves could be a sign of too little or too much water??? How much is too much or too little?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

You are right that that could be over or under watering. Your soil should tell you which. If you are getting any rain (lots of us are getting TOO much), watering daily could be over watering. Basil like a lot of herbs is basically adapted to a hot dry climate. Don't water on a schedule, water when the top inch or so of the soil is drying out.

If you were underwatering, you would see the plant wilt as it dries out and then perk up as (after) you water.

gimmiegators
Newly Registered

Thanks for your help. I wonder if this could help figure the problem... my yellow squash and zuc leaves are very yellow. Hardly any are a nice green color. As for rain...... it hasn't rained here in about two weeks and it's been in the 90's every day, so I water almost ever day and some days I water with a compost tea I "cooked" up. Thanks so much

lululovesu

Wonder if anyone will come back to this post...The new leaves that have come in from the ones I pinched off are all curly and kinda tough. We basically don't get rain where I am at, so I am the waterer. I looked for bugs, I don't see any...Could they be on the roots since it is only on the new growth?? :x

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”