Nick L.

Is mold a problem?

I have a 4'x8' garden with all of my plants and I also have a pots with spearmint and catnip seeds trying to germinate. I think one catnip plant has sprouted but it could be a weed. I have them sitting on a stump next to my garden with nothing to catch water from the drainage holes. I lifted them up today and there is a patch of white mold on the bottom of each! :o I need to know if it will affect my plants or what I should do. Thanks

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

If there's mold at the bottom of the pot, it means it's staying way too wet and with no air circulation. Likely sitting on the stump the drainage holes were blocked. Seeds or seedlings in water-logged soil will rot out and die -- not necessarily that they were killed by the mold just killed by the wet that also fostered the mold.

Lots of us around the country are having problems with TOO WET... it's been so rainy. While I write this, it is pouring rain AGAIN, here.

Nick L.

Well this year was my first year gardening. I just kinda went with it, but I hope at least 1 spearmint sprouts because thats what I really wanted. I figured the kitty would like the catnip and it's supposed repels mosquitos. Next year I'm going to do more research and start earlier. So far, I only want to make 1 more bed. I have a lot of space to work with and a lot to learn. But I guess thats what it's all about.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Keeping on learning is indeed what it's all about, and I like that attitude. Don't be discouraged... growing is what plants want to do, so nature is on your side. But that you can always keep learning is part of what keeps gardening fascinating to me. I've leaned a lot since I've been hanging out at this forum and I had been gardening for a long time... enjoy!

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”