eshenry

Dill dill dill

I have more dill than I know what to do with....any suggestions? I have dried more than I will use in 10 years.

GardenerGirl

I use dill by the cup in fresh orzo salads! Not sure if it's to your taste, but orzo, a little olive oil, chopped up cucumber, some red pepper, and tons of fresh dill is really yummy.

Or use it as an ornamental sprig for every meal. ;)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Make dill pickles! https://www.pickyourown.org/pickles_easy.htm has an easy recipe for refrigerator dill pickles, no special canning equipment needed.

Other culinary uses: Snip fresh leaves into soups and salads. Dill is very popular in cucumber dishes, dips and sour cream, fish, and vinegarettes. Dill complements sour cream, cream cheese, cottage cheese, dips and spreads, meats, eggs and potato salad. Add to salad dressings and marinades.

Medicinal uses: Dill is considered a stomach soother and anti-gas remedy. It is mild, and makes a good remedy for colic in babies. For this use dill weed or dill seed can be made into a tea, and sweetened with honey.

Other uses: Chewing a few Dill seeds will freshen your breath. Dill is a common ingredient of many soaps and perfumes-- this would probably be the essential oil made from dill seed. It is used in some insecticides to increase their effectiveness and would be good in organic insect repellants.

Dill has been traditionally associated with superstitious beliefs in Europe, and hanging a bunch of dill herbs over the door was supposed to protect one against witches and sorcery. The herb is reputed to be one of the oldest known culinary herbs around. Even the ancient Egyptians were believed to have used dill, which is mentioned in Egyptian writings that are five millennia old.

Remember making sun prints when you were a kid? The ferny, feathery fronds of dill would make great designs for sun prints, leaf rubbings, pressed leaves on notecards, and other such crafts...

eshenry

Yummy orzo salad.
I am really bummed because I have no cucumbers yet... I have been pinching them back hard trying to prevent them from going to seed and fizzling out.
Yummy and inspiring tips too!

I am a big fan of dill...but my family, not so much. Ah, they will get over it!

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I like dill on fresh tomatoes. It's also very tasty stirred into cream cheese as a spread. Yum! [img]https://smilies.vidahost.com/otn/tongue/rryumy.gif[/img]

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Dill is one of those things that I always end up with way more than we will use. Yes, dried some. Don't need to dry any more. Yes, saved some seeds. Don't need any more seeds I guess the rest is mulch. :)

applestar
Mod

Let the Black Swallowtails have the rest! :D :wink:
hint -- if you find any of the gorgeous green and black caterpillars on your desirable parsley, carrots, or parsnips, move them to the dill that you DON'T want.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”