calvey

Rosemary clippings

Hello - my first attemp at Rosemary clippings. I followed some online the directions for clip, planted in a small starter pot and have been keeping moist, in light (not direct), and with a plastic bag covering...

It has been about 4 days and they seem limp and starting to brown. Does that sound normal? Should I look to start again?

Thanks,

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Unfortunately it does sound normal. Cuttings from rosmary can be hard...

Ground layering (stripping a bit of a branch of leaves and pegging it to the ground and covering over it with soil) is an easier way to do rosemary...

HG

calvey

What do you mean by pegging?

Gnome
Super Green Thumb

calvey,
What do you mean by pegging?
He is referring to 'layering' where a low branch is buried and will strike roots at the point of contact with the soil. You can use whatever means necessary to keep it in place. A forked branch, upside down is one idea. A short piece of wire with a hook bent into it or even a rock can serve the same purpose. All of this assumes that the parent plant is large enough to provide such an opportunity.

Norm

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Norm's right on all points, and the rock works too, but telling you to rock it to the ground brings forth visions of Ted Nugent guitar solos, which seemed less clear... :lol:

HG

calvey

Thanks... I will give a new crop a try. Can you tell me, if I should but little baggies over them? I have seen both (with or without) on various websites?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

That would be "air layering" different than we are talking...Ground layering uses soil instead of plastic...

HG

plkelly

Norm's right on all points, and the rock works too, but telling you to rock it to the ground brings forth visions of Ted Nugent guitar solos, which seemed less clear...
That cracked me up!!

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”