DrGreenThumb
Newly Registered

Looking for Lemon Verbena seeds

Recently I have come to find Lemon Verbena, and researched all the things that can be done with its leaves. I purchased one to place outside in the garden bed, but it seems to be wilting or dying ...by any chance does anyone know where I can find Lemon Verbena seeds in California or that I can order online? Thanks! :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It's hard to find seeds, because the plants don't make a lot of seeds, also a couple places I saw said that the seeds have low fertility and it is difficult to start from seed. I did find one place selling the plant pretty cheap (not some place I have any direct experience with)

https://www.bonanzle.com/booths/LuckyDreamerHerbFarm/items/__Live___Lemon_Verbena___Herb_Plant___4__Pot

Did you for sure need lemon verbena? I grow lemon balm. Lemon verbena is a tropical and not hardy north of zone 8. Lemon balm is in the mint family and like other mints grows and spreads like crazy almost anywhere. Lemon verbena may be a little more pure and intense lemon flavor, but they are pretty interchangeable in recipes. Lemon balm is melissa officinalis, where melissa refers to honeybees which love it, and officinalis means that it was part of the official medical pharmacopia, well known for its medicinal values.

GardenLisa

I got a lemon Verbena plant this year after looking for 6 years! lemon verbena so far surpasses the flavour/scent of lemon balm as to be incomparable. (I have both, btw)
I don't know about seeds, but Richter's Herbs sells lemon verbena plants for not too expensive. Check out their website - it's wonderful!

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”