moosetracker

getting catnip established when have a cat

Hi,

I would like to try to grow catnip again. My problem is my cats destroy it before it takes root enough to hold their own with them.

I was wondering if anyone else has had the problem, and found a solution. I would imagine most people who grow catnip, do so to benifit their cats, so I would think the problem must be a common one.

petalfuzz
Green Thumb

I have not tried this yet but plan on it:

What you do is plant your seedlings and cover them with a wire basket such as this (upside down, obviously):

Then the cats can't get to the plant until it becomes established and grows out through the holes in the basket. I suggest anchoring it to the ground with landscape staples. Check out your local dollar stores, that's where I got some baskets--2 for $1!

moosetracker

Thanks for the suggestion. I was sort of thinking a wire of some type, but no idea what, and the garden staples is excellent. I have a few I got metal plant signage with.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I have used cylinders/boxes made of hardware cloth or welded wire, but the overturned metal basket would be much easier, and certainly equally effective. :)

Hugo
Newly Registered

Too funny, I've got two cats and they couldn't be bothered to go near my catnip, and it's been going for two years!

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”