Daphne

Anyone grow patchoulli?

I absolutely adore the smell of this plant. But I know nothing about growing it.
I bought two small seedlings today at the Farmer's market.I potted them each in separate pot. One is inside and the other is outside on the screen porch.

I know they do not like cold and that the soil can not dry out to the point of the leaves wilting. I was told this would be the kiss of death for the plant.

Any other tips on making sure that they thrive?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

What a great idea! I also love the smell of patchouli, but somehow never even thought about growing it. I guess I thought of it more as a variety of incense or essential oil and less as a plant. So, I can't be any help, but let us know how it goes. If it works for you, maybe I'll try some too. Mostly I avoid tender perennials though. I hate to have my garden full of stuff that has to be dug up in the fall. For patchouli, I might consider an exception :)

Ria

I bought 2 small seedlings about 3 years ago.. Only one is still surviving as even the North Florida cold was too much for them last winter; its not looking as bushy at the moment but still smells wonderful. This was s in a pot and taken in early , the one I lost was in the ground and was left out till much later. You are right, keep then watered and take then indoors in winter . They will last for a while. (I actually had some Patchoulli perfume but gave it away a few months before I got the plant..Now wish I could get some more).

I don't mind digging up the plants and taking them in doors since I don't have a long cold spell. Last winter I had a lovely in door herb garden, it was so nice to make just a few steps to get my fresh herbs for cooking.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”