somegeek

Save Basil Seeds?

I've not saved basil seeds before, but having started my basil from seed this year, I am wondering if I can save some seeds when they go to flower at the end of this summer for next year?

somegeek

rtruitt
Newly Registered

You sure can. I have done it several times. Last year I saved some and also let my basil go to seed in the garden. Little ones are now coming up with no planting by me!

I let my dill seed out also and have gone from 1-2 plants to 10 or so. I now always have dill somewhere and all I have to do is water a little and pick when I need it.

somegeek

Very nice - thanks!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I saved a 1 lb coffee can of basil seeds last summer. I threw a hand full of seeds in a small spot about 6 ft square and tilled it about a month ago. Now I have about a 1000 basil plants coming up. Too many plants for this space they will crowd each other and some will die out. I should have a very large supply of basil this summer and a good supply of seeds too. Great stuff in soup, pizza and many other things too. Hang a large bag of basil on the wall of your house it will make the whole house smell good.
Last edited by Gary350 on Thu Apr 30, 2009 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

somegeek

Wow - that's great. I'm looking forward to gathering seeds this year for next year. :)

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”