Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

Growing Tarragon?

Hi all!

I've been successful in growing various types of Basil and Dill, but Tarragon - no luck. Seed are always sprouting, but survive for only a week or so...

I've tried starting in the peat pods, pellets and in the small container with some fine soil, but results are the same :(

Any tips on how start this herb correctly and allow it to survive to transplant (or directly starting in the garden)...

Any help would be appreciated!

Regards,
D

GardenLisa

True french tarragon doesn't breed true from seed. You need to get it from cuttings.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Never tried it from seed, but plants are perennial and worth the purchase...

HG

Duh_Vinci
Greener Thumb

GardenLisa wrote:True french tarragon doesn't breed true from seed. You need to get it from cuttings.
Never knew that! Thanks! So for breeding it further from established plant - just snip and plant in to water till the roots grow?

Thank you both for your input!

Regards,
D

GardenLisa

I find layering works easier. Bend a branch down to make sure it will touch the ground with some left over, scrape the bottom a little, then use a piece of wire to hold it to the ground. Keep an eye on it. When you see new growth, cut the piece off and pot it up.
What they sell for seeds is usually Russian sage, which doesn't taste good, even if it labeled french.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”