Gerrie

Chives, anyone?

I planted chive seeds about two weeks ago, nothing appearing yet. Do they have special requirements? I have more seeds so I can start again or should I be patient.?

Gerrie

Chives are an herb, aren't they? Maybe I'm in the wrong frorum....duhh

GardenLisa

Chives take a really long time to germinate. Most people just buy plants and then split them...lol.
Yeah, keep an eye on them. If you know exactly where you planted them, I'd say go ahead and plant more beside there... I can never have enough chives!

Gerrie

Thank You! I had no idea they take a long time, I kept thinking maybe I watered too hard and washed the seeds away.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

You can have the wild ones from my lawn; I do...

HG

GardenLisa

Lol, I wish they grew in my lawn. I love them so much! I could have them in something different every day!

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

The wild ones are a little strong for my taste; I like garlic chives and may get some this year...

HG

GardenLisa

I picked up my garlic chives today! :D

applestar
Mod

I direct sowed a few onion seeds in my New Kitchen Garden about 2 weeks ago. Yesterday, I had to put some seedlings started in an egg carton 5 weeks ago SOMEWHERE and got impatient about the NKG onions AND needed some instant gratification, so planted a couple of the transplants there.

First spot -- 2 worms wriggled out and I accidentally dug up the tiny seedling just getting ready to come up :( (don't think this one will survive as I uprooted it)
Second spot -- 2 worms wriggled away from the spot and I found a tiny seedling just lifting it's shoot NEXT to where I started to dig.

I swear I've been inspecting the very same spots every day, but I never saw them. Yours are probably there too. Just keep the area from drying out and give them a little more time. :wink:

Gerrie

Thanks, applestar, You made me feel better about my mishaps, I've done the same sort of thing-thinking nothing is happening here and then ruining whatever WAS happening under the soil.

Garlic Chives?? Never heard of them, that sounds wonderful, will they taste like shallots?

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

No, nothing delicate about these; think of chive mixed with garlic...

HG

Adrien

Gerrie, just be patient, they will come out eventually! Keep the soil evenly moist, but not too wet.

Gerrie

Nothing yet!!!! I'm going to replant, we've had cold, cool, warm and hot weather in the past couple weeks, still no chives.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

I started out with one packet of seed. Planted it directly in the garden. I got some to come up. Every year the clump gets bigger, and it blooms and the seed gets scattered around. It germinates in the fall and so next year the clump keeps getting bigger and bigger. It has a pretty bloom and the bees love it.

I don't know how long it takes for chive seed to germinate. I would give it two weeks at least before getting too concerned.

Gerrie

I waited about a month, then replanted yesterday, I think I may have planted too deep the first time. A friend said it easier to buy them at the market and divide the clump and plant it (they sell them here in 4" pots at the grocery). If this planting doesn't take I'll try that. Thanks for the encouragement!

scribbler
Newly Registered

I don't remember how long it took them but I had pretty good luck with chive seeds germinating on wet paper towels in zip lock baggies.

Now if I could just convince our cat that young chives are not grass or catnip, I.e. something for her to chew on, we would be in business. lol

Gerrie

My cats are gonna love it too if it ever comes up

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”