DAV
Newly Registered

indoor herb and flower garden

All, I'm very new to this, so please excuse the incorrect terms, etc. I have a wrap around settee with a window immediately behind it at a shelf at the level of the top of the back of the settee (around 1 1/2" below the top). I've put in some indirect LED rope lighting that actually looks nice around the back of the settee, but it only emphasis the fact that there's nothing there that's attractive.

I'm thinking of putting in a series of low planters which are long and thin (maybe 4" deep or so) and no more than 3" high for an flower and herb garden. I'd like the herbs and flow. It should get adequate sun from the windows (though they aren't south facing so I'd need plants that don't require full sun). I'm looking for herbs that would be good for this environment (I'm thinking parsley, cilantro, thyme and a few others) and perhaps some low flowering plants as well to add some color. For the soil I've seen some people use polished river rock which looks fantastic in a class planter. I'd like the plants to be no more than 4" high or so, just to make a nice rim around the settee area of green.

OK, I've described what I want, but I have no idea who would make a planter like I'd need, if the plants would be suitable, and positively no idea how or if herbs could be grown on something decorative like river rock.

help??

-DA

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Hmmm... lots of things to think about here...

First of all, we are talking about inside, right?

Sounds like you may want to have those planters made specifically for the space; I was thinking copper or zinc would be a great look and one or the other would suit most any space. May be a bit pricy, but worth it for the ooh and ahh factor... 8)

The soil may have been covered in river rock, but they are not really growing in that; it's a mulch on top of the soil. Potting mix is the best bet for medium; as for plants, well, the sky is the limit. You could go with a minimalist look and do just wheat grass (very elegant look), or houseplants (I'm thinking kalanchoes, philodendrons, ivy and the like)or herbs (I'd tend to do the more annual ones like parsley, basil, tender lavanders and such. Woodier, more perennial herbs are likely to get rank without a lot of attention).

An intriguing idea; I'd love to see a pic of the finished product...

HG

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”