Lazieninjafrog

Would like to grow Medicinal and cooking herb garden.

As the title states I would like to grow an herb garden that has cooking and Medicinal qualities. What are the best herbs to grow. Take note that I have, Rosemary (its a bush X3) Globe Basil, Sweet Basil, Mint, Lemon Thyme, (We've started some plain thyme clippings in a glass jar in the window) and Chamomile. I think thats about it. X33

Thank you for readint ^_^ Advice is apreciated. XD

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Take a look at

https://www.horizonherbs.com/

for TONS of info on herb lore, seeds, plants (within U.S. only), etc. Traditional medicinal and culinary herbs both.

Get comfortable first; the site is large. :D

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

Lazieninjafrog

cynthia_h wrote:Take a look at

https://www.horizonherbs.com/

for TONS of info on herb lore, seeds, plants (within U.S. only), etc. Traditional medicinal and culinary herbs both.

Get comfortable first; the site is large. :D

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

OMgsh THANKS XDD

Grey
Greener Thumb

Let me know if you have any specific questions on medicinal herbs. They're a hobby of mine.

Lazieninjafrog

Grey wrote:Let me know if you have any specific questions on medicinal herbs. They're a hobby of mine.
okay grey^_^ Thanks. I wanna grow a herb garden for use, not just for looks, so, what are the best herbs to grow for a medicinal herb garden? ^_^

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

That's still not a very specific question. Depends on what your interests are and also what kind of area you have to grow things in-- sunny? shady? wet? dry? clay soil? sandy soil? You see what I mean. Not knowing all that, I can't be very specifically helpful. But I will tell you some of my favorites. But to start actually using herbs, you will need to do a lot of reading and learning about them. And you should consider herbal remedies to be the equivalent of first aid or over the counter things you might buy at a drug store to treat colds and fevers yourself, NOT as a replacement for actually seeing a doctor when you need one!

Lemon balm, easy to grow, tolerates some shade (lots of herbs like full sun), makes a lovely tea, good for headaches and fevers

Blood root (sanguinaria), native woodland shade wildflower, very pretty. Good for chest complaints.

Boneset (eupatorium), sun, native, wounds and colds, fevers, tonic

Burdock, grows wild as a large pesky weed, but is used externally for sores, etc and as diuretic.

Mints - easy to grow, sun or shade, make lovely teas and flavoring, settles the stomach, carminative, good for colds and fever

Chamomile - tolerates some shade though does better in sun. Famous for making a delicate tea that is soothing and helps relax and sleep. Also good as tonic and for colds.

Comfrey - easy to grow, tolerates shade, leaves are very good for your compost pile, good for bowel complaints

Cranesbill (wild geranium) - very easy to grow, can be a pest, good for diarrhea.

Dill - good culinary herb/ flavoring, easy to grow, butterflies like it and its carminative and good for colic.

Feverfew - native, sun, good for fevers, tonic, strengthen the digestion

Anise hyssop - easy to grow, does well in containers, butterflies and bees like it, makes lovely tea, good for coughs and chest complaints

Lavender - sun lover, drought tolerant. Lovely scent, good for potpourri and in bath, shampoo, lotions, etc. Carminative and soothing, calming

Lungwort (pulmonaria) - native, shade, as you would think used for coughs and chest complaints

Sage- good culinary herb, easy to grow, likes sun but tolerates some shade, also good for coughs and colds.

Hope this gives you some ideas to get started

Lazieninjafrog

rainbowgardener wrote:That's still not a very specific question. Depends on what your interests are and also what kind of area you have to grow things in-- sunny? shady? wet? dry? clay soil? sandy soil? You see what I mean. Not knowing all that, I can't be very specifically helpful. But I will tell you some of my favorites. But to start actually using herbs, you will need to do a lot of reading and learning about them. And you should consider herbal remedies to be the equivalent of first aid or over the counter things you might buy at a drug store to treat colds and fevers yourself, NOT as a replacement for actually seeing a doctor when you need one!

Lemon balm, easy to grow, tolerates some shade (lots of herbs like full sun), makes a lovely tea, good for headaches and fevers

Blood root (sanguinaria), native woodland shade wildflower, very pretty. Good for chest complaints.

Boneset (eupatorium), sun, native, wounds and colds, fevers, tonic

Burdock, grows wild as a large pesky weed, but is used externally for sores, etc and as diuretic.

Mints - easy to grow, sun or shade, make lovely teas and flavoring, settles the stomach, carminative, good for colds and fever

Chamomile - tolerates some shade though does better in sun. Famous for making a delicate tea that is soothing and helps relax and sleep. Also good as tonic and for colds.

Comfrey - easy to grow, tolerates shade, leaves are very good for your compost pile, good for bowel complaints

Cranesbill (wild geranium) - very easy to grow, can be a pest, good for diarrhea.

Dill - good culinary herb/ flavoring, easy to grow, butterflies like it and its carminative and good for colic.

Feverfew - native, sun, good for fevers, tonic, strengthen the digestion

Anise hyssop - easy to grow, does well in containers, butterflies and bees like it, makes lovely tea, good for coughs and chest complaints

Lavender - sun lover, drought tolerant. Lovely scent, good for potpourri and in bath, shampoo, lotions, etc. Carminative and soothing, calming

Lungwort (pulmonaria) - native, shade, as you would think used for coughs and chest complaints

Sage- good culinary herb, easy to grow, likes sun but tolerates some shade, also good for coughs and colds.

Hope this gives you some ideas to get started
I see. ^_^ I live in Arizona above five thousand feet. We get plenty of sun, but sometimes the weather can be kinda unpredictable. So I don't know how many cloudy days we're gonna have. .^.

Thanks for listing those herbs. Thats basically what I was looking for. ^_^ If there are anyothers you know of that would grow well here, I'd rlly like to hear about em. ^_^ Thanks again.

Grey
Greener Thumb

Hey cool! A fellow herbalist!

Thanks, Rainbow. :-)

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”