hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Overwintered Basil.

My basil plants got off to a very slow start last year, I think that they were in too heavy potting soil. Replanted them mid summer and watered more carefully and they took off from July forward. Have been pleasantly surprised by their vigor as the plants were moved to the greenhouse in October. Here is a photo from this morning. The plants are still growing well, with only an occasional flower spike.

Several plants in a three gallon container.

[img]https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3600/3325931206_cbd16e1553.jpg[/img]

Three clusters of plants in 1/2 gallon nursery pots.

[img]https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3539/3325931496_0cf13c0a74.jpg[/img]

The first crop seeded for the 2009 season. Will set these in larger pots when the time comes.

[img]https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3239/3325094445_a64d7ddd44.jpg[/img]
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

Grey
Greener Thumb

Mmmmm basil... my favorite of all herbs. I'm jealous. Bring some over, will you? I'll make my famous tomato-basil-cream cheese sandwiches.

I tried overwintering a cutting, and all looked good until a few weeks ago when for reasons unknown (probably too cloudy near the window) he just gave up. Oddly enough, the rosemary cutting right next to him is twice the size she was and is branching out beautifully, in spite of the fact that the soil I stuck her in was a little more moisture-retaining than she would have preferred. Go figure. :roll:

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

Sounds yummy, care to share the recipe?

We enjoy basil so many different ways. In the winter we make a very quick variation of soup by taking a large can of petite diced tomatoes and adding fresh basil, good quality parmesan cheese, a little cream and a little pepper. About ten minutes and you have tomato basil soup that will rival that in an upscale restaurant.

Perhaps our favorite use is similar to yours: fresh basil, fresh tomato, fresh motzarella cheese, slice of italian bread or other bread of choice, drizzle of olive oil, dash of salt and pepper.....yummy!!!!!
Last edited by hendi_alex on Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eclectic gardening style, drawing from 45 years of interest and experience. Mostly plant in raised beds and containers primarily using intensive gardening techniques.
Alex

applestar
Mod

Grey, it's possible it got a little too cold near the window for the basil. Rosemary, on the other hand, *I'm* keeping one alive indoors by draping the sheer curtain over it: i.e. trapping the cold air from the windows. It's also getting a glug of water in its saucer every morning along with more water adding up to about 1 cup poured overhead through the foliage, and a spritz of mist. I didn't believe it when the instructions that came with it said it'll need to be watered every day (I never water ANYTHING every day). But sure enough, the pot is light and ready to fall over EACH morning.... Obviously THIS, along with the temp being too high, is the reason every other rosemary has dried up to a crisp by mid-winter until this year. :oops: :roll:

BTW, my basil cuttings have met their demise one by one. I have one last one that is doing exceptionally well. This is being blasted by the warm air from the vent. I guess it likes it hot and dry. 8) The parsley (dug up in the fall) next to it is slowly being eaten alive by aphids, but they don't seem to like basil. :lol:

Grey
Greener Thumb

Ah, it could be the cold air from opening the door did the basil in... I have a tall rack full of plants on one side of French doors taking in the south sun exposure. The other side is opened frequently - for getting firewood, letting the dogs in/out. It may have been a little chilled, then very chilled a few times a day. It had developed such a great root system - but oh well. Seeds will be up soon, and we can start all over again! :)

Oh, the tomato-basil recipe: https://veganyumyum.com/2007/08/tomato-basil-sandwiches/

That would be where I got my version. :-)

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”