NZG

Tips to grow healthy fennel

I've never tried growing fennel, or never have I eaten it.

I have some seeds here, and season is turning summer.

Does anyone have any tips on how to grow healthy hearty "bulbs"?

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Hi there NZG! Fennel is quite a strong herb, that is often referred to as anise. It should not be planted near dill or coriander, as they cross pollinate easily.

Seeds should be planted straight into the garden in late spring, as they have a deep taproot, so the plants do not transplant well once started.

Fennel will grow in almost any soil, but will yield more, and have more tender foliage if it has well drained richer soil. It needs to have plenty of sun.
Plant your seeds about 15 inches apart, and about 1/2 inch deep. Be sure to plant your fennel somewhere that is somewhat sheltered, as it grows quite tall and will blow over and break in the wind.
A planting of fennel seed will produce a generous supply of plants for several years, either from the established roots, or by re-seeding itself.
Unless seed is needed, the flower stems should be cut as soon as they appear to get bushier growth.
If you are wanting nice large bulbs, rather than just the foliage, the bulb will not be very large in the first year.

This is about all I know about Fennel - hope you enjoy your new trial! :wink:
VAL

NZG

Thanks very much. I'll give it a go and see what I can make of it 8)

grandpasrose
Greener Thumb

Great! Let us know how it goes, so we can all learn!! :wink:
VAL

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Makes a lovely salad with a light oil and vinegar (cut into a slaw of sorts).

Very nice!

Good point about the bulb size, Val. First year plant would make for a pretty paltry salad...

Just a pretty plant in the herb garden; I have used the bronze form in herb gardens just for the ferny, tall foliage...

HG

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”