applestar
Mod

Addition to winter indoor herbs

Now, maybe everyone else is already on to this and *I*m coming in late feeling clever :roll: but I've been poking the ends of scallions and onions among my kitchen herbs. They take root and grow nice shoots of green onions that are just the thing to brighten up omelets, salads, soups, etc.

Save about 1" of scallion ends and cut out a generous pyramid around the onion roots. Snuggle the bottom 1/2" or so into the soil and watch them grow! I just cut off the green top as I need, then let them grow back. :wink:

I'm almost out of last year's parsley that I potted up for the winter, but the pineapple sage is growing nicely and is providing a welcome addition at tea time. :D

Ria

Applestar,

I have been prolonging the life of my green oninos/scellions by dong just as you have recently discovered :) . Thankfully I was able to keep then in the ground dispite the recent Florida freeze, but I did stick some in the pots of herb I had to take indoors. Just this morning I was looking at all the green sprouts although those green onion roots were barely stuck in the pot. I have been so excited about going back to warm weather that I was out planting lots of green onions today to border the extended garden now that the lawn has been reduced by a few feet. I am so anxiuos to plant and do hope the frost is over for Florida. I hope everyone else in the COLD will get some warmth soon. I think there will be so many more people planting their own garden this year.

Some advise please : I am contemplating planting some herbs amomg the veggies this year but am wondering about the differnt water requirements , for example basil goes well with tomatoes but basil does not care for much water as the tomatoes will require . The same may be true for most companion planting
Do you or any one else reading ths plant herbs amomg the vegetables ?

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”