PolyhymnianMuse
Newly Registered

Planning this seasons "garden"

My "garden" will be a collection of pots filled with various things that will for the most part live on my back porch during the spring and summer months. I was planning on ordering live plants from [url=https://www.richters.com/]Richters[/url] that I will eventually take cuttings of for more plants. Here's what I had wanted to grow:

Lemon Balm
Lime Balm
Greek Mountain Tea
Double Chamomile
Banana Mint
Pineapple Mint

First I would like to mention that most (if not all) of what I plan on growing will be more for making teas (tisanes). I'm open to suggestions for other plants to grow for use in brewing teas. I have grown a few mints but beyond that I have never tried growing any of these. I'm curious how well they will do as container plants and the level of care they need.

EDIT: Now that I actually did a little looking around instead of just rushing ahead and posting, I think this better fits the herb section :P

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Hello, P.M.!

The "genie from the lamp" has, through the miracles of Modern Technology, moved your post, as desired.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

PolyhymnianMuse
Newly Registered

Thank you kindly Cynthia!

planterlady
Newly Registered

Hi: What a wonderful idea - lovely to have many different types. One type that I would recommend is Corsican mint - it grows rapidly, is a mossy creeper that needs extra moisture. It has tiny, bright green leaves with a strong peppermint flavor. Let us know how how it goes!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Think about adding bee balm and anise hyssop. I have both growing in containers and they do very well. They make lovely teas. Also hummingbirds love the bee balm and will come right up on your deck for it and butterflies and honeybees love the hyssop... Both have medicinal qualities.

applestar
Mod

Last year I discovered lemon grass. Buy fresh-looking ones from your grocery or asian grocery store and stick the bottom inch or so in the soil. Keep moist and it will root and shoot up to 2 ft/grow additional clumps (I think it likes a lot of water) You could plant a large planter garden with more moisture-loving tisane herbs and use this as the vertical accent. :wink:

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”