embrains6699
Newly Registered

How to start a herb garden

What is the easiest herb to grow? How much space do I need for it?

pd

In my view most herbs are easily grown and need very little room.
What is important for most is a sunny aspect and a light well-drained soil. South facing with no overshadowing trees or buildings would be fine. Many herbs can be succesfully container grown on patio or balcony.
The most common culinary herbs would be Chives, Mint, Parsley, Tarragon, Garlic, Sage, Rue, Oregano, Marjoram and Basil.

superfleurs

Good list, I would just add thyme to it. :) All of these herbs do well in containers if you have limited space. However, some of these will also cover HUGE amounts of space if you are looking for ground cover as I always am. :wink: I have sage plants that are about 2 meters square and mint can cover just about as much space as you desire. I love using herbs as ground cover.

glindow
Newly Registered

This is some useful stuff. :) I am going to be setting up an herb garden for my mom this spring, just outside the kitchen door, which is as I understand it the best place for such things. I also think I read at one point that you can use things like cinder blocks to keep herbs like mint from completely taking over your garden.

Starchild
Newly Registered

:D I was just wondering if anyone knows if rabbits have the taste for an herb garden, and if so, how do I deter them from mine!

superfleurs

Hmm, I don't know for sure, but I imagine that there are a number of herbs that rabbits might find tasty. The only way to deter them is with a fence. It doesn't need to be very tall. Half a meter high is sufficient. Make sure that they are not already inside the fenced area, though. :wink:

queerninja

Starchild wrote: :D I was just wondering if anyone knows if rabbits have the taste for an herb garden, and if so, how do I deter them from mine!
Hi Starchild :) Some of my friends use some stuff called Predator Pee to ward off any chewing creatures...I don't know how that would effect domesticated animals in a confined space like a garden, but it sure keeps the Deer and Rabbits away in the open.

Also, Guano keeps them away too...

Good luck!

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”