tkharper2
Newly Registered

Can herbs be safely planted in old tomato beds?

I know that crop rotation for tomatoes and peppers is necessary due to various viruses in the soil that can live there for years. My question is, does anyone know of problems with making a raised bed that had contained tomtoes that had either fusarium or verticillium wilt into an herb garden?

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

I think it would be okay. I can't think of any herbs offhand that would be likely to succumb to tomato diseases.

tfw
Newly Registered

No there should not be a problem following tomatoes with herbs. In fact basil is a very good companion plant to be planted with tomatoes.

Terry

chio88

I don't think that there will be a problem with that :)

Snippy

As another said, I don't think there is a problem with that. Last summer, I had my tomato plants in a 1/2 barrel with oregano, basil, rosemary and thyme planted around them. I had to water so much, I didn't do the same this year. What was handy though, is that I'd grab a ready to eat cherry tomato, pass it through the herbs surrounding them and pop it into my mouth. Yum! Not many tomatoes made it to the kitchen. :wink:

Jalopy19
Cool Member

If you are looking for a companion plant other than an herb for tomatoes I have heard marigolds protect the plant from nematode infestation. I personally have grown basil with tomatoes and had success. I've never tried the marigolds.

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”