Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Re: How do I know when I've watered my herbs sufficiently?

williamthomas wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 8:23 am
I just purchased Rosemary and Basil that I'm gonna plant outside. How do I know when I've watered enough? When I Google it, I see stuff like "1 inch of water per week". How do I know how much an inch of water is?!
I have learned that my rosemary & basil both like well drained soil. I have better luck planting these in the garden, not in pots. Plants don't seem to like uneven soil moisture in pots. My plants do better in my garden if i buy a bag of child play sand to mix into garden soil so it drains better. Rosemary does very well for me in full sun all day. Basil will bolt in 90 degree hot weather I have very good luck planting basil on the north side of a bush or tree so it gets early morning sun until about 11 am then full shade the rest of the day until dark. I have no problem giving basil lots of water every day plants seem to do much best with 2 quarts of water every day. My rosemary does very well with 1 quart of water 2 times a week. Both plants do good if I feed them 1 tablespoon of 5-5-5 fertilizer once a week after plants have gotten larger. Small plants need small amount of fertilizer & larger plants need more fertilizer. Our TN summers are very hot and humid and often dry as desert June to Oct.

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

Re: How do I know when I've watered my herbs sufficiently?

My herb, vegetable and flower gardens are entirely watered with sprinklers. Here at home, that is me moving a hose and sprinkler around. In the distant garden, that is a field sprinkler system.

I have measured the water by setting cake pans at different distances from the sprinklers, measuring, and keeping track of the time.

Gary is right that different species benefit from different amounts and frequencies of irrigation. And, soil type makes a difference. The nearest weather station will help you with rainfall.

An inch of water comes close to a gallon on every square foot: 231 cubic inches in a gallon. 144 cubic inches will cover 1 square foot, 1 inch deep.

Steve
Make everything as simple as possible but not simpler. ~ Albert Einstein

Return to “Herb Gardening Forum”