Chowmom

Invasive Here, There, Everywhere??

I need some help. I am concerned about the invasive species running wild -- I can't help but notice the huge stands of Phragmites alongside every ditch, pond etc. I try very hard to stay on top of what's what, but I fear I've been too narrow in my search and destroy mission.

To determine a plant's invasive potential, I usually check my state and neighboring states' lists. Since I live in IL, I don't go to the FL list because the climates are so different. Is this appropriate? Also, I have trouble interpreting the NRCS Site. Lots of plants are described as obnoxious but that doesn't necessarily mean invasive, right? And what if my state is silent on that plant? Is there one list that has all the bad guys?

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

That European Phragmites deserves a whole thread on its own.

Here's the big difference between noxious weeds and invasive species-
noxious weeds are invasives that need to be removed. Invasive species are plants that are banned. Meaning you don't have to remove infestations from your property but it's unlawful to plant the straight species or any cultivars. It's also unlawful to sell invasives.

As you've discovered, plants frequently don't hit these lists even though their invasiveness is well documented. I've found it best to look at the noxious weed and invasive species lists for neighboring states but mostly I go to the USDA's Plants database and type in the scientific name of the plant then scroll down to the distribution maps for the particular variety I want to look up. Then I click on all species and a different page comes up. I scroll down and locate the plant. A quick look tells me if the plant is native or not native because of the color. Lt Blue for native and lt gray for introduced/non-native. From there I take a look at how many states where it is documented as occurring.

Here's how it works. Let's use cattails as an example. We need to find the scientific genus of the plant which is Typha.

Now let's go to the USDA's site-
https://plants.usda.gov/

Cut and paste Typha into the search engine now click go. You'll end up in their name search. Scroll down and click on Typha. This is where you will end up-
https://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=TYPHA

Now take a look at the map of North America. Note all the areas that are green. Don't let that fool you. The green only means the genus is documented in those states but there are a few different types of cattails.

Now take a look up at the top again. This is where it gets real confusing-
Native Status: None

Hmmm, interesting.

By looking at the above one would conclude the plant is native to North America... well some are and some aren't. This is one of the problems with the USDA Plants data base, it's confusing to use.

Anyway, scroll back down to the area below the large map of North America and you will see 4 different species of Typha. There ya go, now you can see which one is a cause for concern and which one isn't. The problem child is Typha angustifolia. Click on that and you end up here-
https://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=TYAN
and the map of NA is all green again. It isn't until you scroll down and get to this area where you can click on the 4 species that you can readily see what has naturalized where-
View 1 genera in Typhaceae, 4 species in Typha

Now that you know the Typha angustifolia is the one growing in all those ditches and everywhere else it can get a foothold, go to your google or yahoo search engine and type in Typha angustifolia + the word invasive and up will pop enough links to make your head spin so it doesn't really matter whether or not a state formally lists a species as invasive or not because the information is there for the taking.

And the USDA site is not perfect. They suffer from lack of funding like everyone else so they aren't updated as frequently as they should be and then there are some glitches in their system that really make it difficult for new users to figure out what the heck is going on.

editing to add-
plants that are noxious weeds are invasives but plants that are invasives are not necessarily noxious weeds.

Garden Spider
Cool Member

A species that is invasive in one area may not behave that way in another area. Plants that are invasive in the mild climate of the PNW may behave just fine in the hot summer-cold winter climate of the Midwest. And conversely, plants that are well-behaved in our cool summer-wet winters may take off in warmer, drier climates. So yes, do pay close attention to your state and county noxious weed/invasive lists. Your county extension agent should be able to provide you with a list for your area.

But don't ignore other areas, either. For example, if a plant is found to be invasive or noxious in Western Oregon or Northern California, it will probably behave the same way in Western Washington. The climates are very similar to each other, even though 500 to 700 miles separate us. Take a look at the states surrounding you, with climates similar to your own.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Hey Chowmom, all of the phragmites you pointed out to me this morning along the side of the road where we were driving was the European strain. Didn't see even one stand of the native Phragmites.

Ummm, don't believe that was what Chowmom was asking however I get the point of the last post.... if one is really really really careful selecting an invasive species to plant and really really really responsible monitoring it, one can do so guilt free. Would I be correct?

Regarding Phragmites australis which is actually the plant the original poster was asking about-
https://www.invasivespeciesinfo.gov/aquatics/commonreed.shtml
But more importantly-
https://www.udel.edu/PR/UDaily/2008/oct/invader101107.html

Barring the above, P. australis is only listed as a noxious weed or an invasive species in 6 states yet it is documented as having naturalized in all 50 States plus most of Canada as well as HI and PR??? It hasn't been "formally" identified as an invasive species in the state of IL where both me and Chowmom garden and it hasn't been formally identified as an invasive species in any of the states neighboring us yet the Feds have identified it as an invasive species. We can still legally buy and plant this species but should we? Should we be buying and growing a species such as Water Hyacinth just because it supposedly won't be able to survive the harsh midwestern winters?

“Once a species is moved to a new ecosystem, it must find a suitable niche to become invasive.â€

Chowmom

OK. So what I'm taking from this discussion is this: I should go to the nursery armed with a shopping list of plants I know to be native to my area or well-behaved exotics that I've already researched to determine that they do not naturalize in the US.

If I should happen to buy plants without the aforementioned list I'm taking my chances. Once I return home with my purchases I should research each one and anything on the invasive list or naturalized map should go into the compost bin or the burn pit.

Yes?

And the best sources for info will be my state info and the USDA site.

Yes again??

I want to make this as simple for myself as possible. But I also don't want to take all the fun away from browsing through the garden centers and nurseries!javascript:emoticon(':lol:')

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Every plant you have on your property, with the exception of the Morus alba (White Mulberry) which isn't even yours, is fine based on your personal preferences for natives.

Best source is actually a book documenting native species for the Chicago Region which includes all the neighboring counties. I think you stumbled upon it when you were at the Morton Arboretum and might have been thinking about buying it and I said to hold off a little bit as a new release was coming out. The author will be Gerould Wilhelm and it is 'Plants of the Chicago Region'. The new edition is going to be considerably more comprehensive and it is going to include which species of flora support which species of fauna... your butterflies will be included. Last time I talked to him he said he was really trying to finish off the last of his updating. The USDA has a means by which you can pull up all species that are locally native to your specific county. That's what I do, and I keep that list in my car along with Jerry's book in the trunk where I had those two bags of coffee grounds. The list from the USDA will be about 4 pages long for your county.

As far as the ornamentals, little risk of an orchid or a cactus escaping cultivation no matter how many you set out on your patios for the summer.

One of the reasons why I stick to the same nurseries you buy from is to keep it simple for me. I don't have to think and I can shop with wild abandon. It's those impulse buys and impulse takes that get me. Like when we were at that plant swap last month. You came home with a species that's a problem child and so did I. There are so many look alikes out there. it happens.

I need to focus on more native grasses like what you did at your house. Since I suck at native grasses, I just have somebody else tell me which ones to buy or I go to a nursery that sells only native grasses like you did. I do the same thing with sedges and rushes. I'm now familiar with the herbaceous perennials and woodies that are natives so I'm generally ok in that department as long as a nursery shares the whole binomial to the plant and not just the genus or a common name. Grasses aren't too easy for me to pick unless I have my lists plus lists from friends.

By the way-
https://www.citychicken.com/
All I get is an index and the index is invalid.
It doesn't work. What did I do wrong?

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

This is from that excel list of the draft of species to be "formally" identified as invasive in Illinois that you wanted, hope this works-

Azolla pinnata Mosquito Fern
Azolla spp. Water Fern
Butomus umbellatus Flowering Rush
Cabomba caroliniana Fanwort
Callitriche stagnalis Pond Water Starwort
Crassula helmsii Australian Stonecrop Didymosphenia geminata Didymo, Rock Snot
Egeria densa Brazilian Water weed
Eichhomia crassipes Water Hyacinth
Glyceria maxima Tall Manna Grass
Hydrilla verticillata Hydrilla
Hydrocharis morsus-ranae European Frog-Bit
Hygrophila polysperma Indian Swampweed
Ipomoea aquatica Water Spinach
Lagarosiphon major Oxygen-weed
Landoltia punctata Dotted Duckweed
Limnophila sessiliflora Limnophila, Asian marshweed
Marsilea quadrifolia European Water-clover
Myriophyllum aquaticum Parrot Feather
Myriophyllum spicatum Eurasian Water Milfoil
Najas minor Najas minor
Nasturtium officinale Watercress
Nelumbo nucifera Sacred Lotus
Nitellopsis obtusa Starry Stonewort
Nymphaea marliacea
Nymphoides peltata Yellow Floating Heart
Ottelia alismoides Ducklettuce
Pistia stratiotes Water Lettuce
Potamogeton crispus Curlyleaf Pondweed
Sagittaria montevidensis
Salvinia molesta Giant Salvinia
Salvinia minima Water Fern
Stratoites aloides Water Soldiers
Trapa natans Water Chestnut, Water Caltrop

Trees and Shrubs
Acer ginnala Amur Maple
Acer platanoides Norway Maple
Ailanthus altissima Tree of Heaven
Alnus glutinosa European Black Alder
Berberis thunbergii Japanese Barberry
Berberis vulgaris European Barberry
Caragana arborescens Siberian Pear Shrub
Cytisus scoparius Scotch broom
Elaeagnus angustifolia Russian Olive
Elaeagnus umbellata Autumn Olive
Euonymus alatus Winged Euonymus
Euonymus fortunei Climbing Euonymus
Euonymus hamiltonii (and E. europaea) Spindle Tree
Hippophae rhamnoides Common Sea Buckthorn
Phellodendron amurense Japanese Corktree
Jussiaea repens var. glabrescens Primrose Willow
Koelreuteria paniculata Golden-rain Tree
Ligustrum sinense Chinese Privet
Ligustrum vulgare Common Privet
Lonicera japonica Japanese Honeysuckle
Lonicera maackii Amur Honeysuckle
Lonicera morrowii Morrow's Honeysuckle
Lonicera tatarica Tatarian Honeysuckle
Lonicera x bella Bell's Honeysuckle
Malus spp. (crab apple) Crab Apple
Morus alba Mulberry
Paulownia tomentosa Princess Tree
Populus alba White Poplar
Prunus mahaleb Mahaleb Cherry
Prunus padus European Bird Cherry
Pyrus calleryana Bradford Pear
Quercus acutissima Sawtooth Oak
Rhamnus cathartica Common Buckthorn
Rhamnus frangula Glossy Buckthorn
Rhodotypos scandens Jetbead
Robinia pseudoacacia Black Locust
Rosa multiflora Mutliflora rose
Rubus phoenicolasius Wineberry
Syringa reticulata Japanese Tree Lilac
Tamarix ramosissima Salt cedar
Ulmus pumila Siberian Elm
Viburnum opulus European Cranberrybush Viburnum

Vines
Akebia quinata Chocolate Vine
Ampelopsis brevipedunculata Porcelin Berry
Celastrus orbiculatus Oriental Bittersweet
Dioscorea oppositifolia Chinese Yam
Hedera helix English Ivy
Humulus japonicus Japanese Hops
Polygonum perfoliatum Mile-a-minute Weed
Pueraria lobata Kudzu
Vinca minor Common Periwinkle
Vincetoxicum nigrum Black Swallow-wort
Vincetoxicum rossicum Pale Swallow-wort
Wisteria sinensis Chinese Wisteria
Grasses
Agropyron repens Quack Grass
Bromus inermis Smooth Brome
Bromus tectorum Cheat Grass
Festuca elatior (=F. arundinacea) Tall Fescue
Festuca pratensis Meadow Fescue
Imperata cylindrica ?
Microstegium vimineum Japanese Stilt Grass
Miscanthus sacchariflorus Plume Grass
Miscanthus sinensis Chinese Silver Grass
Miscanthus sinensis 'purpurascens' Autumn Red Miscanthus
Phalaris arundinacea Reed Canary Grass
Phragmites australlis Common Reed
Setaria faberi Japanese Bristlegrass
Sorghum halepense Johnson Grass

Herbs/Forbs
Aegopodium podagraria Goutweed
Allaria petiolata Garlic Mustard
Alternanthera philoxeroides Alligator Weed
Anthriscus sylvestris Wild Chervil
Arctium minus Lesser Burdock
Artemesia absinthium Wormwood
Belamcanda chinensis Blackberry Lily
Berteroa incana Hoary alyssum
Bunias orientalis Hill Mustard
Campanula rapunculoides Creeping bellflower
Cardamine hirsute Bittercrest
Carduus acanthoides Plumeless thisle
Cardusu nutans Nodding Thistle
Centaurea maculosa Spotted Knapweed
Centaurea solstitalis Yellow Star Thistle
Centauria debeauxii thuilieri Meadow Knapweed
Chelidonium majus Celandine
Cirsium arvense Canada Thistle
Cirsium palustre Marsh Plume Thistle
Cirsium palustre European Marsh Thistle
Cirsium vulgare Bull Thistle
Conium maculatum Poisin Hemlock
Coronilla varia Trailing Crown Vetch
Cotoneaster multiflorus Many-flowered Cotoneaster
Cynoglossum officinale Hound's tongue
Cytisus scoparius Scotch Brome
Daucus carota Queen Anne's Lace
Digitalis lanata Grecian Foxglove
Dipsacus fullonum subsp. Sylvestris Common Teasel
Dipsacus laciniatus Cut-leaved Teasel
Duchesnia indica Wild Strawberry
Echinops sphaerocephala Blue Globe Thistle
Epilobium hirsutum Hairy Willow Herb
Euphorbia cyparissias Cypress Spurge
Euphorbia eslua Leafy Spurge
Falcaria vulgaris Sickle-weed
Filipendula ulmaria Queen of the Meadow
Galeopsis tetrahit Hemp Nettle
Glechoma hederacea Ground Ivy
Digitalis lanata Grecian Foxglove
Gypsophila spp (G. paniculata) Baby's Breath
Hemerocallis fulva Tawny Daylily Y
Heracleum mantegazzianum Giant Hogweed
Hesperis matronalis Dame's Rocket
Hieracium caespitosum Field Hawkweed
Houttuynia cordata Chameleon Plant
Hypericum perforatum Common St. Johnswort
Inula britannica British Yellowhead
Iris pseudacorus Yellow Flag Iris
Linaria dalmatica Dalmation Toadflax
Lepidium latifolium Perennial pepperweed
Lespedeza cuneata Chinese Bush Clover
Linaria vulgaris Butter-and-eggs
Lotus corniculatus Bird's-foot trefoil
Lupinus polyphyllus Giant Lupine
Lycopus europaeus European Water Hore Hound
Lymus arenarius Lyme grass
Lysimachia nummularia Moneywort
Lysimachia vulgaris Yellow Garden Loosestrife
Lythrum salicaria Purple Loosestrife
Melilotus alba White Sweet Clover
Melilotus officinalis Yellow Sweet Clover
Ornithogalum umbellatum Star of Bethlehem
Pastinaca sativa Wild Parsnip
Perilla frutescens Beefsteak Plant
Polygonum cuspidatum Japanese Knotweed
Polygonum sachalinensis Giant Knotweed
Polygonum x Hybrid Knotweed
Portulaca oleracea Purslane
Potentilla argentea Silver Cinquefoil
Ranunculus ficaria Lesser Celandine
Rorippa sylvestris Creeping Yellow-cress
Rosa canina Dog Rose
Rumex acetosella Garden Sorrel
Saponaria officinalis Bouncing Bet
Sedum sarmentosum Stringy Stonecrop
Sedum telephium Live Forever
Senecio jacobaea Stinking Willie
Silybum marianum Milk Thistle
Sonchus arvensis Field Sow-thistle
Sonchus palustris Marsh Sow Thistle
Spirea japonica Japanese Meadowsweet
Tanacetum vulgare Tansy
Torilis arvensis Field Hedge Parsley
Torilis japonica Japanese Hedge Parsley
Typha angustifolia Narrow-leaved Cattail
Typha x glauca Hybrid Cattail
Valariana officinalis Garden Heliotrope
Verbascum thapsus Flannel Mullein
Verbena bonariensis Purple-top Verbena
Veronica officinalis Common Speedwell

Recently, the draft list of species Wisconsin is going to be adding to their noxious weed/invasive species lists crossed my desk... they are doing a bang up job. If I can find it in a form where I can cut and past it here, I will.

Chowmom

Perfect! I've printed out several copies. I'm working on getting pics of the things I'm not familiar with. Who exactly is considering this list? The IDNR? And when will they make a decision?

Thank you!

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

That draft list of plants comes from the IIPSC (IL Invasive Plant List and Pathways Report). The Council meets monthly and plugs along. I have the original documents. Have no idea how to share them here. The first document is the second draft of a list of species that could be included in a comprehensive Illinois Invasive Plant List. The first list was rather sparse in my opinion and I suggested a few to be evaluated and considered for inclusion as did many others. Every species I originally suggested now appears on this second draft list. This second list may or may not be accepted as is. I know one of the questions asked of the Council was if there were any species missing from the list. I could think of quite a few more but haven't made any additional suggestions. I don't know if others are making suggestions or not however I suspect so. It wouldn't surprise me if a third draft with more species added wasn't forthcoming. The second document I received is a federal report on pathways of spread for invasive species. It covers more than plants, but was very well presented. There are flow charts for various pathway categories as well as an assessment that can be used to prioritize specific pathways of concern. When there will be a meeting of the minds is anyone's guess. No decision until then.

Yes, that list is perfect actually. Helps people buying plants who would be interested in not purchasing a species that could very well end up being illegal to sell or plant in the state. Nice tool to determine which species to steer clear of. Who wants to invest their time and energy planting anything that could end up banned in the State. You did spot Valeriana officinalis (Garden Heliotrope) on the draft list? One that surprised me was Lupinus polyphyllus. I personally haven't run across any of that species in any natural areas but certainly doesn't mean it hasn't naturalized or that it isn't posing a threat.

Incidentally, you should see what Wisconsin has in the works. They're going to blow us out of the water as they race to preserve their natural resources. Baby steps though, baby steps.

Editing to add that the above draft list of plants would automatically include any and all cultivars and hybrids. There have got to be over 50 cultivars of Berberis thunbergii out there alone being pushed. The nursery industry seems to release quite a few new ones each year. If Berberis thunbergii makes the final cut, and I'm thinking it will, all of the cultivars will be banned in addition to the straight species. Here's a partial listing of some of the earlier Japanese Barberry cultivars, scroll down-
https://www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/b/berthu/berthu1.html

NEWisc

Here's the list of invasive species that Wisconsin currently has in the legislative process. This is just the plants; the complete list includes mammals, birds, insects, etc. The process seems to be going well, and I would expect that it will be law in about a year.

I've really abbreviated the information and particulars in the list, so this is just a list of the plants. You can get all to the info here:
https://dnr.wi.gov/invasives/classification/classification_table.htm#terrestrial_plants
There are also links to photo's and additional information at this site.

TERRESTRIAL PLANTS

Common Name - Species and Genus, Notes

Prohibited

Porcelain berry - Ampelopsis brevipedunculata Includes the variegated cultivar
Wild chervil - Anthriscus sylvestris
Hill mustard - Bunias orientalis
Yellow star thistle - Centaurea solstitialis
Poison hemlock - Conium maculatum
Scotch broom - Cytisus scoparius
Chinese yam - Dioscorea oppositifolia
Hairy willow herb - Epilobium hirsutum
Giant hogweed - Heracleum mantegazzianum
Perennial pepperweed - Lepidium latifolium
Sericea lespedeza - Lespedeza cuneata = Lespedeza sericea
Japanese honeysuckle - Lonicera japonica
Japanese stilt grass - Microstegium vimineum
Princess tree - Paulownia tomentosa
Mile-a-minute vine - Polygonum perfoliatum
Giant knotweed - Polygonum sacchalinense = Fallopia sacchalinens Includes hybrids
Kudzu - Pueraria montana = Pueraria lobata
Sawtooth oak - Quercus acutissima
Wineberry - Rubus phoenicolasius
Spreading hedge parsley - Torilis arvensis
Pale swallow-wort - Vincetoxicum rossicum = Cynanchum rossicum

Restricted/Prohibited

Celandine - Chelidonium majus
European marsh thistle - Cirsium palustre
Tall manna grass - Glyceria maxima
Japanese hops - Humulus japonicus
Lyme grass - Leymus arenarius = Elymus arenarius
Amur honeysuckle - Lonicera maackii
Japanese hedge-parsley - Torilis japonicus
Black swallowwort - Vincetoxicum nigrum = Cynanchum louiseae

Restricted

Tree-of-Heaven - Ailanthus altissima
Garlic mustard - Alliaria petiolata
Creeping Bellflower - Campanula rapunculoides
Plumeless thistle - Carduus acanthoides
Musk thistle - Carduus nutans
Oriental bittersweet - Celastrus orbiculatus = Celastrus orbiculata
Spotted knapweed - Centaurea biebersteinii = Centaurea stoebe
Canadian thistle - Cirsium arvense
Hound’s tongue - Cynoglossum officinale
Cut-leaved teasel - Dipsacus laciniatus
Common teasel - Dipsacus sylvestris = Dipsacus fullonum subsp. sylvestris
Russian olive - Elaeagnus angustifolia
Autumn olive - Elaeagnus umbellata
Helliborine orchid - Epipactis helleborine
Cypress spurge - Euphorbia cyparrissias
Leafy spurge - Euphorbia esula
Glossy buckthorn - Frangula alnus = Rhamnus frangula including the Columnaris (tall hedge) cultivar
Hemp nettle - Galeopsis tetrahit
Dame's rocket - Hesperis matronalis
European bush honeysuckles - Lonicera tactarica, L. morrowii, L. bella
Purple loosestrife - Lythrum salicaria
Wild parnsip - Pastinaca sativa
Phragmites, Common reed - Phragmites australis (non-native genotype)
Japanese knotweed - Polygonum cuspidatum = Fallopia japonica includes hybrids
Common buckthorn - Rhamnus cathartica
Multiflora rose - Rosa multiflora
Common tansy - Tanacetum vulgare except the cultivars 'Aureum' and 'compactum'
Narrow-leaf cattail - Typha angustifolia
Cattail hybrid - Typha x glauca

Caution

Blackberry lily - Belamcanda chinensis

Pending

Reed canary grass - Phalaris arundinacea

AQUATIC PLANTS

Common Name - Species and Genus, Notes

Prohibited

Fanwort - Cabomba caroliniana
Australian swamp crop/New Zealand pygmyweed - Crassula helmsii
Cylindro (cyanobacteria) - Cylindrospermopsis raciborskii
Didymo, Rock snot - Didymosphenia geminata
Brazilian Waterweed - Egeria densa
Hydrilla - Hydrilla verticillata
European frogbit - Hydrocharis morsus-ranae
Oxygen-weed, African elodea, African waterweed - Lagarosiphon major
Parrot feather - Myriophyllum aquaticum
Brittle (Lesser, Bushy, Slender, Spiny, Naid) waternymph - Najas minor
Starry stonewort (alga) - Nitellopsis obtusa
Yellow floating heart - Nymphoides peltata
Golden alga - Prymneisum parvum
Novel cyanobacteria of order Stigonematales - Stigonematales spp.
Water chestnut - Trapa natans
(no common name) Ulva (Enteromorpha) spp.

Restricted

Flowering rush - Butomus umbellatus
Eurasian water milfoil + hybrid water milfoil - Myriophyllum spicatum + hybrids .
Curly-leaf pondweed - Potamogeton crispus

Caution

Mosquito fern, water velvet - Azolla pinata
Pond water-starwort - Callitriche stagnalis
Water hyacinth - Eichhornia crassipes
East Indian hygrophilia, Indian swampweed - Hygrophila polysperma
Water spinach, Swamp morning-glory - Ipomoea aquatica
Dotted duckweed - Landoltia punctata
Limnophila, Asian marshweed - Limnophila sessiliflora
(no common name, plant) - Limnobium spongia
Water shamrock, European waterclover - Marsilea quadrifolia
Watercress - Nasturtiumofficinale/ Rorippa nasturtium-aquaticum .
Ducklettuce - Ottelia alismoides
(no common name, alga) - Pfiesteria spp.
Water lettuce - Pistia stratiotes
Salvinia species - Salvinia spp

I see that some of the formatting didn't hold up, but hopefully it is still readable.
Last edited by NEWisc on Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Chowmom

Helps people buying plants who would be interested in not purchasing a species that could very well end up being illegal to sell or plant in the state.
Exactly! I have more than enough to do without digging holes for plants I'm going to rip out!! (Can you say Valeriana?) Disappointed about a couple on the list though. I really like the Belamcanda chinensis and the butterflies love the Verbena bonariensis. I know WI is usually ahead of IL on these environmental things. I'm interested in the updated list for them too. If it makes their list there are probably better choices for my garden.

Still plugging away at determining native shrubs and forbs. Saw your suggestions regarding tree choices on another thread and was already considering many of them. As I make my plans, I want to be certain to understand what bees, butterflies, bugs, birds, etc. belong around my parts and plant accordingly to attract and benefit them. Once I get my list going I'll need to find some better nurseries. Native grasses and perennials are not so bad, but tress and shrubs...oy!
I personally haven't run across any of that species in any natural areas but certainly doesn't mean it hasn't naturalized or that it isn't posing a threat.
That goes for quite a few for me. Wonder if there are differences even within the state? Doesn't matter though. I guess I'll take their word for it.

If Berberis thunbergii makes the final cut, and I'm thinking it will, all of the cultivars will be banned in addition to the straight species.
If I understand correctly, once it makes the invasive list, it is illegal to sell and people are required to remove it from their property? Boy, everyone gas station and McDonald's will be in trouble. Maybe I can get that hideous red mulch added to the list too! ':()'

Is there any type of press coverage or PR blitz that accompanies such a change? How would Joe Average Homeowner know what's up?

Here's a partial listing of some of the earlier Japanese Barberry cultivars, scroll down-
https://www.hort.uconn.edu/plants/b/berthu/berthu1.html[/quote]
:arrow: :()

JennyC
Green Thumb

I recently inherited a kit from the local high school called "Explosion in Motion: Invasive Weeds Toolkit." It was put out by the US Department of the Interior/ Bureau of Land Management. It's a box set of goodies: two CDs (Aquatic Plant Information System and Noxious and Nuisance Plant Management Information System, two educational videos, a bunch of handouts, bookmarks, posters, etc, including a big bunch of "wanted" posters for such lovelies as leafy spurge and spotted knapweed, etc. There's also a government-issued Invasive Plants Factbook. FInally, there's a little "Weed Handbook" of color pictures and descriptions of weeds --- of Wisconsin! How that ended up in a high school in Georgia I don't know. Anybody have a use for the handbook? It's small, index card sized, covers 60 common weeds which mostly don't grow here.

This whole kit is about 10 years old, if that matters.

Chowmom

NEWisc, we must have crossed posted. Thank you very much for the WI list and link. Lorax mentioned that you are a wealth of info on natives in our area. Looking forward to listening to and learning from you both!

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Believe it or not JennyC, many of the very same species that are invasive in WI will be invasive in GA. They're frequently not seen on a well maintained property though so you should seriously consider hanging onto that "Weed Handbook". They may not be formally identified as invasive in GA though which is often the case. Start plugging some of the scientific names into the USDA's Plants Database and then look at the maps and see if they're documented as occurring in Georigia. I think your teeth will about fall out when you realize how many of their invasive species escaped to the wilds in your State too.

Chowmon, the suggestions on the other thread are decent however you're going to ultimately be more of an oak savanna transition to prairie with the set aside wetlands area that needs to be handled with kid gloves. He's gardening on a residential lot and has 3 little ones who need to use the yard. You're dealing with acreage. What you've got on your plate is considerably more challenging.
If I understand correctly, once it makes the invasive list, it is illegal to sell and people are required to remove it from their property?
Illegal to sell, illegal to plant but homeowners will not be required to eradicate them as they would if they were formally identified as a noxious weed. I suspect once the Council finishes up the business at hand, they will be revisiting the noxious weed lists. That's why I commented about baby steps. That's when we'll probably see some plants on the invasive species list making their way over to the noxious weed list. What is a cause for concern for gardeners who continue to utilize these types of plants in their landscapes would be language included in WI's legislation. Admittedly, I was jumping for joy when I first read between the lines. Call it a form of leash laws for plants. Once one State enacts that type of legislation, others will follow particularly when cost savings to tax payers begin to be documented based on taking an offensive position. There's much to be gained by dealing with some of these species before they get a foothold as opposed to after they get a foothold. Other states will follow suit. That's when all of the plants on the invasive species draft could become very costly. WI is our neighbor. We've already begun to pay close attention to what they're doing. Piggybacking saves time, energy, and precious resources and half of their state is below the tension zone. What Illinois is currently doing isn't going to affect you and me because we generally steer clear of any plants that are capable of naturalizing but I am relatively confident that little list represents the tip of the iceberg. Think open space and people with large parcels of unmanaged land infecting natural areas that our tax dollar is being used to clean up. My guess is those are the people who better get their rears in gear cleaning up their properties particularly if their land has any wetlands on it as my guess is they'll be the focus of much unwanted attention, it's only a matter of time.

Here's another thought for the day. There is lakefront property available for development in Lake County. It's been for sale for decades and several large hotel chains have looked at it. Banks own the property due to foreclosures. One of the properties was a paint factory at one point in time and another was a scrapyard. Countless entities have attempted to "acquire" the land however preliminary studies indicate it has a negative property value as a direct result of costs associated with cleaning up contaminants in compliance with the EPA. Some of the land has incredibly high concentrations of PBCs and hydrocarbons. We're talking price quotes to clean it up were beyond $50 per square foot. PER SQUARE FOOT. Some areas of the properties were beyond $100 per square foot. That is the only developable lakefront property left yet it sits. Hmmm, wonder why. Think of when we purchase properties and how there is a disclosure for lead paint and asbestos as well as if the property has flooded? Typical disclosures consistent with protecting the best interests of the public at large. Personally, I don't believe the public is catching on to where this has got to be going. Controlling, managing, and eradicating invasive species is very expensive. Although nobody wants to hear it, properties can have a negative value and get a load of this-
Soil Declared A Natural Resource, By Congressional Resolution
combined with this-
[url=https://toledoblade.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080714/NEWS06/807140321/-1/NEWS]The New EPA rules to target invasive species[/url]

Invasives species pollute the environment just like chemicals do. Wonder how many homeowners will begin connecting the dots and putting two and two together? They're coming in through one back door after the next with white lists.

Chowmom

OK. This may be a dumb question but here goes anyway. If a species is designated as invasive why isn't it required to be removed like a designated noxious weed? Seems counterproductive to label something invasive but let it continue to be cultivated -- just not sold or started.

Like the link for the Great Lakes. My husband is fishes and has been following the the issues and debates quite avidly. And no, he doesn't catch and release -- we eat everything he takes. And since I don't much care for salmon I try to discourage him from fishing too much!

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Because of socio-political reasons which are inappropriate to discuss. Just remember, baby steps.

Actually, the Council creating the draft is comprised of representatives from the nursery industry as well as from the scientific community. Can we say major conflict of interest in my humble opinion?
"We want to sell them to make money"
"We don't want you to sell them because we have to spend tax payers dollars cleaning them up when they jump property lines"

I do believe it was a good move including "them" given the nursery industry's lobbyists are so powerful.

We'll take all the salmon you wanna bring up here. No sense letting his efforts go to waste!

Chowmom

"We want to sell them to make money"
"We don't want you to sell them because we have to spend tax payers dollars cleaning them up when they jump property lines"
I figured it had something to do with revenue and profit. Whenever my stepdaughter asks why something is the way it is I tell her to 'follow the money'. Especially when you start talking government or regulatory bodies. Nuff said.

applestar
Mod

I was catching up on this thread.
First: the broken link www.citychicken.com -- I was curious so I googled for "city chicken" Here are the first few hits:
The City Chicken
The City Chicken will help you get started keeping chickens in your backyard, even if you live in the city.
https://home.centurytel.net/thecitychicken/ - 32k - Cached - Similar pages

Cooks.com - Recipes - City Chicken
*Complete Dinner Idea City chicken Mashed potatoes peas or green beans and a ... Roll city chicken sticks first in egg ... gravy, cole slaw and vegetables. ...
www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,city_chicken,FF.html - 22k - Cached - Similar pages

Kitchen Mailbox: City Chicken an oldie but goodie 'faux' food
City Chicken is a basic dish made with cubed pork, veal or beef. The cubed meat is placed on skewers, breaded, then fried in oil or butter. ...
www.post-gazette.com/food/20000224mailbox.asp - 23k - Cached - Similar pages

Lots of Life in One Place: The City Chicken, The Country Chicken
Feb 25, 2008 ... The City Chicken, The Country Chicken. If the idea of getting a few chickens has been on your mind, now is a good time for making ...
https://lotsoflifeinoneplace.blogspot.com/2008/02/city-chicken-country-chicken.html - 69k - Cached - Similar pages

City chicken - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
City chicken is a food entrée that consists of cubes of meat that are placed on a wooden skewer (approximately 4-5 inches long), breaded, then fried and/or ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_chicken - 17k - Cached - Similar pages
So are you interested in the recipe or in keeping them? :lol:

Now back to the topic on hand -- I just borrowed a book called Plant Communities of New Jersey -- A Study in Landscape Diversity Collins and Anderson, 1994. Soil map of the entire state, growing season zones, The 8 terrestrial plant habitats, and then the different plant community types like Mixed Oak Forest for each terrestrial habitats in the different parts of the state -- not just by county but by habitat.

I've been going over the lists of natives and lists of invasives available on-line, books from the library etc. Reading their habits and habitats, but all the information was starting to get jumbled up in my head, you know? Also, a lot of NJ native species lists focus on The Pine Barrens, which is great, but that's not really what I have in my back yard. So it was becoming increasingly frustrated that the information I was gathering was not making practical sense. :? THIS book is putting the pieces of the puzzle together for me in terms of what is REALLY suitable for where I live.

I also just downloaded a really nice booklet from [url=https://www.nps.gov/plants/index.htm]Plant Conservation Alliance website[/url] called Plant Invaders of Mid-Atlantic Natural Area -- full of color photos for almost every plant and alternative native plant recommendation for each (28Mb pdf file) You can download it from this page: https://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/pubs/midatlantic/index.htm
It's also available as web version which is nice for indoor research purposes. [url=https://www.nps.gov/plants/alien/pubs/midatlantic/toc.htm]Plant Invaders of Mid-Atlantic Natural Areas (Web version)[/url]

Return to “Gardening with Native Plant Species”