NewjerseyTea

Books of Interest

I found a good reference book called 'Invasive Plants A Guide to Identification and the Impacts and Control of Common American Species' by Sylvan & Wallace Kaufman.

It is a field guide to invasives in North America.
I find the way it is set up a little awkward. There is a key that divides invasives into terrestrial or aquatic, then by type of plant (tree, shrub, vine,etc.), then by characteristics (evergreen,alternate leaves,etc,).
But I really like the the way individual plant entries cover Habitat and Range, What it does in the Ecosystem, How it came to North Anmerica, and Management. The photos are good also.

I'm putting it on the shelf right next to 'Native Alternatives to Invasive Plants' by C. Colston Burrell.

Transplant
Newly Registered

I'm with you, NJ Tea; found this book a few months ago, and consult it often!

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

I have both. Love them! Love them! Love them!

I also have another one that is more specific to my region which has proven invaluable-
Invasive Plants of the Upper Midwest by Elizabeth J. Czarapata

The above publication is provided to volunteers of the Forest Preserve District. It's sort of required reading.

EarthFirstNatives

Bringing Nature Home -
How Native Plants Sustain Wildlife in Our Gardens
By Douglas W. Tallamy

https://www.timberpress.com/books/isbn.cfm/9780881928549

This guy recently gave a talk in South Jersey, I was unable to attend, but I heard it was great. I bought the book and love it.

Raven

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Yes, that's one of those "can't put it down" type books for native plant enthusiasts and non-native plant enthusiasts alike.

raptor

Lakescaping for Wildlife & Water Quality, by Carrol L. Henderson, Carolyn J. Dindorf, and Fred J. Rozumalski.

Return to “Gardening with Native Plant Species”