Kittygreenthumb86

Dutchman's Breeches

Has anyone been able to succesfully cultivate Dutchman's Breeches in a garden setting?.....I've tried several times to transplant one, but the stems seem too fragile.....any advice???

Hugs and green wishes
Kitty :)

Jess
Greener Thumb

They are difficult to transplant. Best chance is when the weather is starting to cool in the autumn and transplanting the bulblet once the foliage has died back. They selfseed quite readily from my plant but I have never had much luck with germinating the seeds myself.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Yes, I've been successful propagating and cultivating Dutchman's Breeches which would be Dicentra cucullaria. Dutchman's Breeches are very easy to transplant. They're a spring ephemeral that does best in about 60% shade for me combined with a moist, rich, and well drained soil. Have you any areas like that around your home?

Would you please describe for me the area your transplants are coming from?

Based on your description of the plant you are repeatedly trying to transplant, I'm thinking you might have Dicentra canadensis not Dicentra cucullaria. The stems are very fragile on the Squirrel Corn. Both plants look very similar.

Return to “Gardening with Native Plant Species”