emdgarden
Newly Registered

Is this an Invasive Species or Native to Massachusetts?

Hello all,
I have a small city/suburban plot. I'm interested in native plants. I want to enrich the local environment by the way I tend the land. I've been replacing lawn with native perennials and shrubs and a few trees. At the same time I want to keep a sense of design and planning. I'm still learning!

I have an uninvited plant growing and spreading. I'd like to find out if it is invasive. I've found lists of natives but none with good photos. It's not one of the well-known ones (at least to me). I'll attach a couple photos. I'm not sure if this is the place to post it.

Stay well everyone!
Elizabeth
Attachments
plant unknown.png
plant unknown.png (440.33 KiB) Viewed 18839 times
IMG_0790.JPEG

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

looks like some kind of ajuga. not native.

emdgarden
Newly Registered

Thank you.
I don't see ajuga on invasive lists. That helps!

emdgarden
Newly Registered

Thank you. I don't see ajuga on invsive lists which is good!

Freedom

While ajuga, aka bugleweed, is not 'invasive,' it spreads, and can be hard to contain. I put in 1 small plant 3 years ago, it now covers an area 4 feet x 4 feet. It is listed as an option for groundcover in place of lawns. It is not native to us here in MA. (I am also north of Boston, almost in to NH.) It is very hardy and can withstand foot traffic. Some websites say it is rather difficult to kill, so it is good for a beginning gardener.

Return to “Gardening with Native Plant Species”