TheLorax
Greener Thumb

What native plants did everyone order or buy so far?

So far for me:
Rhus aromatica plus two cultivars
Clethra alternifolia plus a cultivar
Photinia melanocarpa plus a cultivar
P. pyrifolia 'Brilliantissima'
Sassafras albidum
Ptelea trifoliate
Morus rubra
Hydrangea arborescens cultivar
Malus ioensis
Cornus alternifolia
Taxodium distichum
Carpinus caroliniana
Celtis occidentalis
Ostrya virginiana
Amelanchier interior
Nyssa sylvatica
Ilex verticillata
Calycanthus floridus
Wisteria macrostachy
Myrica pennsylvanica
Ceanothus americanus
Ceanothus herbaceus
Hamamelis virginiana
Symphoricarpos orbiculatus
Lindera benzoin
Parthenocissus vitacea
Ostrya virginiana
Callicarpa americana (not sure if this will be available)
Franklinia alatamaha
Arisaema dracontium
Asclepias exaltata
Erythronium albidum
Panax quinquefolius (ordered for fall delivery)
Osmorhiza longistylis
Trillium cernuum
Viola pedata
Jeffersonia diphylla

Want to find-
Dicentra Canadensis (Squirrel Corn)

Would be beyond ecstatic if I could ever locate this for sale-
Psoralea esculenta (Prairie Turnip)

Need to try another Kalmia. Haven't selected one yet though.

I'm sure I'll pick up others because there are a few native plants sales coming up and it always seems as if I forget a whole order so I'll end up with Christmas in May.

doccat5
Green Thumb

Hey Lorax, that's a lovely list, however, could you like include the common names as well, I'm lazy I don't want to improve my latin and look them up. LOL

I do recognize the viola and trillium..........woohoo! Which means my latin is not quite as rusty as I though. LOL And that was about it........

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Man oh Man you Virginians sure do know how keep people on their toes! I had to run outside to look at a few tags and today is a full day and I should be out of here already instead of playing online!

Bad news, I don't know what some of the common names are and when I went online to look up a few, I found some of the plants had more than just 3 or 4 common names. I chose what sounded the most familiar to me. Good news is that I caught a bunch of my misspellings, typos, and a duplication since you made me WORK to earn my keep here!

Rhus aromatica plus two cultivars (Fragrant Sumac)
Clethra alnifolia plus a cultivar (Summersweet) plus a cultivar called ‘September Beauty’
Photinia melanocarpa plus a cultivar (Black chokeberry) plus a cultivar called ‘Viking’ and one called
P. pyrifolia 'Brilliantissima' (Chokeberry of some sort)
Sassafras albidum (better hang onto your panties here for a moment little Latinless gardener…. Sassafras)
Ptelea trifoliate (Wafer Ash) Not susceptible to EAB
Morus rubra (Red Mulberry)
Hydrangea quercifolia cultivar (? ‘Snow Queen’)
Malus ioensis (Prairie Crabapple)
Cornus alternifolia (Pagoda Dogwood)
Taxodium distichum (Bald Cypress)
Carpinus caroliniana (American Hornbeam) we also call it Ironwood though
Celtis occidentalis (Hackberry)
Ostrya virginiana (Hophornbeam) we also call this one Ironwood too
Amelanchier interior (Some sort of a Serviceberry)
Nyssa sylvatica (Blackgum) we call it Sourgum
Ilex verticillata (Winterberry) somebody recently was calling this Black Alder
Calycanthus floridus (Sweetshrub)
Wisteria macrostachy (American Wisteria)
Myrica pennsylvanica (Northern Bayberry)
Ceanothus americanus (New Jersey Tea)
Ceanothus herbaceus (I think this might be called Inland Tea)
Hamamelis virginiana (Common Witchhazel)
Symphoricarpos orbiculatus (called Coralberry and Snowberry)
Lindera benzoin (Spicebush)
Parthenocissus vitacea (Thicket Creeper… NOT Virginia Creeper)
Callicarpa americana (not sure if this will be available)
Franklinia alatamaha (Ben Franklin Tree?)
Arisaema dracontium (Green Dragon)
Asclepias exaltata (Poke Milkweed)
Erythronium albidum (White Fawn Lily)
Panax quinquefolius (American Ginseng)
Osmorhiza longistylis (Aniseroot)
Trillium cernuum (Nodding Trillium)
Viola pedata (Bird’s Foot Violet)
Jeffersonia diphylla (Twinleaf)

Really sorry, I should have tried to add common names.

Your challenge should you choose to accept it… is to add Latin names in your posts! Tee he!

doccat5
Green Thumb

Yeah, right.....

and Parthenocissus vitacea (Thicket Creeper… NOT Virginia Creeper) no dising of VA!!! LOL

Chokecherries? oh my, oh my...they make great jelly and can turn into a jungle!! LOL

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Making jelly is one of those things on my ever growing "to do" list.

With so many critters around here, I doubt seriously if I'd ever be able to gather enough to do much of anything with them. Seems as if the minute I notice something is fruiting and make a mental note to go out and pick the fruit that something has a gorge fest overnight. Never fails.

Yes, chokecherries can colonize. I planted them in an area that needs to be filled in. Sort of hoping they spread out a little bit but not so much that I'd have to remove them.

NewjerseyTea

Well, this year I might have to dream of plants and enjoy everyone else's lists. I haven't ordered a single plant for my own garden yet but have ordered lots of natives for a forest regeneration project.
I had planned to order a compact Ilex verticilla ( winterberry) cultivar for the birds. Maybe in the fall, sighing loudly.

Lorax, I'm curious how the New Jersey Tea (Ceanothus Americanus) reacts to your environment. Mine "died" to the ground the 1st year and resprouted anew, but late. This year it greened up early on last years twigs.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

The plant does great here. It's locally native. I bought plants that were grown from seed of plants occurring naturally in this area which would have been a big help.

They didn't do so great on my property though. I planted two dozen a few years ago and the rabbits took them down to nubs. Planted another two dozen the year after that and placed the plants in tubes. The deer ate every twig and every leaf sticking out of the tube but they didn't girdle the plants so a few came back the following year and those that did come back did green up on existing twigs. I believe I have all of three left. They're not doing so well because the deer got to everything sticking out of the tube again last year. I'm going to try them again but I'm going to go with chicken wire enclosures until the plants are established. Really wish something could be done about the exploding deer populations around here.

Garden Spider
Cool Member

Cornus sericea (Red Twig Dogwood)
Cornus canadensis (Bunchberry)
Gaultheria procumbens (Wintergreen)--can't resist those red berries!
Arctostaphylos uva-ursi (Kinnikinnik)

Still looking for Erythronium oreganum, Lilium columbianum, and Fritillaria lanceolata--these aren't often found in local nurseries, and I don't want to mail-order them, because they are delicate. I do have 1 or 2 more local nurseries I can check, though.

imagardener2

NewjerseyTea wrote:I had planned to order a compact Ilex verticilla (winterberry) cultivar for the birds. Maybe in the fall, sighing loudly.
There were several varieties of those being offered in a Yahoo group co-op, [url=https://groups.yahoo.com/group/BnPCo-opBuying]BnPCo-opBuying[/url], of which I'm a member.

Ilex hybrids
Honey Maid - Zone 5, 4-5 feet, $3.25

Ilex verticillata
Berry Heavy - Zone 4, 6-8 feet, Full Sun Partial Shade $3.25
Jim Dandy - Zone 4, 3-6 feet, Full Sun Partial Shade $2.75

They were 4" container plants, but for the price...

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

That looks like a really neat site but like 99% of the time I buy straight species so I'd probably get bumped for not making a purchase within 30 days. If anyone from here is going to be placing an order, I'd be interested in 3 'Berry Heavy' and 2 'Jim Dandy' and would be more than happy to share my personal information with who ever is a member over there as well at to compensate somebody for all the costs and such. You're right imagardener2, the price is good and the fruit set on the 'Berry Heavy' is supposedly phenomenal which is not customary for ornamentals. I've got a great place up in close by my home near a downspout that is nekkid.

'Honey Maid' is a cultivar of Ilex x meserveae. Ilex x meserveae is a hybrid with parentage of Ilex aquifolium (English Holly) and I. rugosa (Japanese Holly or maybe Prostrate Holly).

imagardener2

Ah, c'mon! Sign up and just post until you find something you want!!

imagardener2

Hey, Lorax, they just opened those plants back up on that co-op!! Now's your chance!

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

I'm clicking on your underlined word just in your last post and I'm not going anywhere. What am I doing wrong?

imagardener2

I underlined 'just' for emphasis. The link you need is '[url=https://groups.yahoo.com/group/BnPCo-opBuying]BnPCo-opBuying[/url]'.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

ENABLER! ENABLER! ENABLER amongst us!

I am getting so messed up with these underlined words and words that are in color. It's a pot shot. Some have hyperlinks when you click on them and some don't.

Can't count how many times I tried to read that series of letters in the little box to be able to join. Man oh man that's hard on the eyeballs with those characters all scrunched up like that! I added a comment that I was interested in native plants though. I'm in. Have to wait for approval or something.

editing to add- I placed my first order. You are soooooooo bad to flaunt a link like that in front of a plantaholic.

ahughes798
Cool Member

Well, I missed all the native plant sales due to my mother passing away on 4/20. I left here on 4/17 and everything was a bunch of brown sticks..got home today and my Trilliums are blooming, and the Soloman's Seal is 6 inches high. Wow!

In FL, Carolina Jessamine, Gardenia, Bougainvillea, and Jasmine were blooming . Sensitive plant, rain lilly, some kind of aster, and other stuff I couldn't identify. The Mockingbirds were singing. The Sandhill Cranes are nesting. The alligators are bellowing.

Saw mellealuca and mimosa piled up beside the highways waiting to be burned. Yay!

I bought some Sarracenias with the money my mother left me. She said to blow it, so I did.

I got an S. purpurea var. purpurea, an S. alata, an S. minor "Okefenokee Giant" and a surprise sarracenia.

The S. purpurea is native to my area, the rest are native to the SE US. They are grown in pots, and are not invasive...in fact, they're rather dainty, and rather a pain in the butt to grow. They aren't aggressive.

As far as local native plants go...I grow my own from seed, and I concentrate on locally endangered ones, but I grow the more common ones, too. I'm too tired to list them all, but at last count I had over 100.

doccat5
Green Thumb

ahughes798, very sorry for your lose. Wow over a 100 plants that's quite an accomplishment. Good for you ;)

applestar
Mod

Garden Spider wrote:Arctostaphylos uva-ursi (Kinnikinnik)
Bearberries? I like the Eskimo-sounding name!
... is it also native to NJ? I think it needs sandy soil and the (sandy) pine barrens starts at the OTHER end of the township. All green clay around here....:roll: Maybe I should just settle for cranberries.

Bought and planted this year:
Amelanchier canadensis (Serviceberry; Shadbush)
Ilex glaba (Inkberry Holly)
Vaccinium angustifolium (Lowbush blueberry)
Gaylussacia baccata (Black huckleberry)
Eupatoreum pupureum (Bluemist flower; Sweet scented Joe Pye weed)
Rhexia virginica (Meadow Beauty)

I'm going about it backwards, but I'm trying to think of adapting the "rain garden" idea and make a sort of a meandering dry stream that would bring water to the blueberry bed when it rains. 8)

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

ahughes798- I am so so sorry for your loss. I have no words.

imagardener2

ahughes798, my sincerest condolences at the loss of your mother.

ahughes798
Cool Member

Thanks.

opabinia51
Super Green Thumb

Let's see we just bought them the other week for this place that I am landscaping..... well there was cow parsnip, some common Camas, I wanted to get the native crabapple but, they were all out and a bunch of others which I currently foget.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

(sigh) Only two! Cow Parsnip is Cow Parsnip but which Camassia did you buy? I've got Camassia scilloides here somewhere. I just bought about 10 more natives plus two Ilex verticillata cultivars. I'm definitely looking to add a few more native crab apples. Why don't you post a request for a Malus fusca seedling and see if anyone in Canada has one or two they can share with you. There are a lot of ding dongs out there like me who propagate for sport which results in more than they can plant so you might be pleasantly surprised if you asked in that one area here where there are swaps.

applestar
Mod

I couldn't resist and bought some deliciously fragrant native azaleas, a dwarf mountain laurel to plant with them for contrast and winter greenery, and a full sized mountain laurel for the back fence. I wanted a red buckeye but they only had a mangled one. By that time, the cart was full so I couldn't look for milkweed. :? What I really want to do is get some seeds though...

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Mountain Laurel is very beautiful. Kalmia is one I've struggled with over here. I've been killing Kalmia cultivars quite nicely the past few years. As fast as someone gives me one, I kill it.

I've ordered milkweed seeds from this place once before-
https://www.butterflyencounters.com/store/products.php
Their seed must be fresh because I think my germination rate was 100%.

I was just given some Aesculus flava seedlings. Sorry, don't know the common name for that but it is an Eastern NA native that is some sort of a Buckeye. I took them because I suffer from IPS. I have no idea where I am going to stick them over here so may grow them out for another year to think about it.

ahughes798
Cool Member

The common name for Aesculus flava is Yellow Buckeye.

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Thank you ahughes.

queerbychoice
Newly Registered

I'm gardening in California's Sacramento Valley, so my natives are California natives, mostly northern/interior California natives.

I bought these in one-gallon pots and successfully put them in the ground:

Cercis occidentalis - Western redbud
Epilobium canum - narrowleaf California fuchsia*
Iris douglasiana - Douglas iris
Mimulus puniceus - monkey flower*
Muhlenbergia rigens - deer grass
Ribes aureum - golden currant
Rhamnus californica - California coffeeberry
Vitis californica - California grape

The asterisked plants are looking barely alive right now, but I'm not sure whether they're actually dying or just going deciduous. I recently transplanted the monkeyflower to a shadier spot, which might either have helped it or have been the final straw that will soon kill it.

I also bought these in one-gallon pots, but they died shortly after I put them in the ground:

Eriogonum fasciculatum - Eastern Mojave buckwheat
Linum lewisii - blue flax
Monardella villosa - coyote mint

I've scattered seeds of all of the following, and I have lots of different seedlings coming up, but I can't tell whether the seedlings are any of these plants:

Abutilon palmeri - Indian mallow
Achillea millefolium - Yarrow
Arabis sparsiflora - sicklepod rockcress
Baileya multiradiata - Desert Marigold
Camissonia cheiranthifolia - beach evening-primrose
Castilleja subinclusa - Indian Paintbrush
Clarkia williamsonii - farewell-to-spring
Dodecatheon clevelandii - Cleveland's shooting star
Eriophyllum confertiflorum - Golden Yarrow
Helianthemum scoparium - common sun rose
Keckiella breviflora - gaping beardtongue
Linum lewisii - blue flax
Lotus scoparius - common deerweed
Lupinus albifrons collinus - silver bush lupine
Lupinus excubitus - Grape Soda Lupine
Monardella villosa - coyote mint
Penstemon centranthifolius - scarlet bugler
Penstemon palmeri - Fragrant Penstemon
Penstemon spectabilis - Showy Penstemon
Salvia apiana - White Sage
Salvia mellifera - Black Sage
Scrophularia californica - California figwort
Sisyrinchium bellum - blue-eyed grass
Sphaeralcea ambigua - Desert Mallow
Triteleia laxa - Ithuriel's spear

I did get two seedlings of this that sprouted from the seeds I scattered, but the seedlings mysteriously vanished a week after they sprouted:

Eschscholzia californica - California golden poppy

And I've purchased seeds of the following, but haven't planted them yet:

Delphinium cardinale - scarlet larkspur
Delphinium nudicaule - dwarf scarlet larkspur
Melica californica - California melic
Trichostema lanatum - Woolly Blue-curls

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

queerbychoice- Excellent line up of plants for where you garden! I looked up a few that weren't familiar to me and the Trichostema lanatum and Trichostema lanatum look awesome.

Sorry about your Mimulus puniceus. These things happen. Maybe it will surprise you.

LazyGirl
Cool Member

First - I love this Forum! It is so wonderful to be able to find people who share the same passion for native plants. I'm in the east bay area of Califonia, close to the central valley and am currently planting some native wildflower seed.

Here are a few seed packets I have in front of me (some are still on the way):
Artemisia douglasiana (Mugwort)
Eriophyllum confertiflorum (Golden Yarrow)
Scrophularia californica (California bee plant)
Calandrinia ciliata (red maids)
Ceanothus thyrsiflorus (Blue blossom wild lilac)
Clarkia - San Bruno Mountains
Gilia capitata (Globe gilia)
Iris macrosiphon - Ease Bay
Linanthus grandiflorus (Mountain phlox)
Mimulus guttatus (Seep monkeyflower)
Nemophila menziesii (Baby blue-eyes)

If anyone sees an invasive here, let me know as I am still a newbie!

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

LazyGirl- nice list. Very nice lists coming out of all you westerners. On first look, I spotted the Artemesia but I looked it up and it's a great choice for where you garden. Big problem child for us out east but nice selection for you. I did not spot any invasives but I do have a tendency of pointing them out when I spot them so I can assure you I would probably be first in line to let you know.
:()
I can't help myself, it must be in my blood or something! Either that or I'm so sick and tired of removing the darn things that I see red when they pop up.

You can go here and plug the scientific name into the search engine to determine nativity.
https://plants.usda.gov/index.html
Also too, if you click on your state, a map of counties with documented occurrences will pop up for you.

LazyGirl
Cool Member

Thank you Lorax! I also check out each plant in the Calflora website:

https://www.calflora.org/

It gives county specific sightings for each plant so I can check if it is in my region.

Return to “Gardening with Native Plant Species”