Spiritofthewild

Fast groing native suggestions

Hi there,

I'm looking for suggestions for a fast groing native species that I can plant on the side of a dam.

I work on a station near broken hill, far west NSW and we have a dam near the homestead that is lovely to swim in during the extremly hot summers (not unusual to average over 40 for the summer months) but it lacks shade. I have a few red gums I got from a lovely native nursery I stumbled apon in Mildura, but since they're about knee high at the moment its going to be quite a few years before they give enough shade for just one of my dogs, so I was thinking of planting a few trees between them that might take off a bit quicker (don't really have to be native I don't supose, but since it's so hot (and we get frosts in winter) out here it's gotta be hardy!

Thanks for any help

applestar
Mod

NSW -- New South Wales? As in Australia?

applestar
Mod

Hey, just to start you off -- I was thinking for FAST growing, what you might want is some kind of nurse trees. Around here, that would be some species of locust/robinia, but I was pretty sure there was a problem with locust as invasive species in Australia, and there was another species that I was thinking of that is Siberian, not a match either.... :?

So I did a quick search and came across this --
Mudgee wattle | Grow Me Instead
https://www.growmeinstead.com.au/plant/m ... tle-1.aspx

Mudgee wattle
Acacia spectabilis
Trees and Shrubs
South Australia Region

A popular small native Acacia from Queensland and New South Wales. It grows 2 to 4m high by 2 to 3m wide.
Now, the purpose of nurse trees is to be a tree-sized/depth N-fixer and support desired specimen trees as they grow together, then the nurse tree is cut down and thereafter, shoots that sprout from the stump are used as cut-and-use fodder, mulch, firewood, buried in hugelkultur, etc. So keep that in mind, although this one is described to be usable for "feature" so might be selectively preserved.

Spiritofthewild

Thanks applestar

That wattle is a great idea! I didn't even think of a wattle but I do know they grow wild out here so it sounds perfect!

I've never heard of nurse trees before but I understand the concept and would indeed be perfect.

Thanks a lot for your help, much appreciated.

P.s yes sorry I should have specified but you were right, NSW as in Australia :)

Return to “Gardening with Native Plant Species”