BrokenThumb
Newly Registered

Help with White Sage - brown leaves and rolling in

I picked this Sage bush up from Lowes about 3 weeks ago and the soil was wet from the morning watering. I watered it once with about 12oz of tap water 7 days after I had it home. About 3 or 4 days after it started wilting and turning brown from the bottom of the plant and working it's way up.
It's been about 8 days now and the soil is now dry about 5 inches down.
The wilting leaves are dried out and will fall off if I touch them.
Am I under-watering it or to much water?
The plant gets afternoon to early evening direct sun.

I would appreciate any help.
Thank you.
Attachments
sage 2.jpg
sage 1.jpg

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Hi! Welcome!

It needs a LOT more water.

It also needs a MUCH larger pot, with MUCH more soil. Or you could find it a nice place in the ground.

This plant looks VERY far gone... if it stays in that pot, you'll probably need to water it thoroughly daily. Don't fertilize it right now either, not until it recovers (if it recovers).

applestar
Mod

Use the "heft test" to determine when it needs water. Heft (lift up a few inches up) to feel the weight after watering, and if it feels light(er)it needs water.

imafan26
Mod

I have to say sage and thyme are the ones I kill the most. Unfortunately over and underwatering look pretty much the same. Really overwatering and the bottom leaves would be black.

Sage does not like a lot of water, but it does need it. When you water any plant, it needs to be watered well, not a cup at a time. Just water it until it goes out the drain hole. When the leaves curl and get crispy it is hard to save.
You can try and put the pot in a bucket of water. If the soil is really dry, it will be hard to wet evenly. Let it soak until the bubbles stop and then take it out and let it drain. No saucer. Remove the crispy leaves. If the wilted leaves perk up, it may have a chance, if not, then it probably won't come back. Water thoroughly everytime you water, but water as needed. Depending on the media and how fast it dries. You may have to poke in the soil and see if it is still moist further down. It should be almost dry before you water but if the leaves are wilting you waited too long. BTW if you over water the leaves will also wilt, so if it is wilting and the soil is wet, the roots are rotting.

pinksand
Greener Thumb

I would definitely guess under watering as well! I just planted some purple sage my mom divided to share with me and I was watering it at least once a day for the first couple of weeks. Temperatures were almost 90 that first week so sometimes I watered it in both the morning and afternoon. It has finally perked up and has new healthy leaves growing but the bottom leaves crisped up like yours just from transplant shock and the heat I think in my case.

If possible I'd say re-pot to give it more soil or plant it in the ground and start watering if the top of the soil looks dry at all. See if you get any new fresh leaves coming in after a couple weeks of more water.

BrokenThumb
Newly Registered

Thank you all. I will give it a good soaking and see what happens. To replant in new pot do I use cactus soil?
I will return and give you all follow up.

imafan26
Mod

It likes slightly alkaline soil but cactus soil dries out very fast so you will need to get a handle on the watering.

JCL
Newly Registered

Good advice. I am having problems with mine too, and Thyme. I bought some Cactus soil and transplanted all my Thyme, Lavender and Sage in it. I am hoping for the best. Already killed a beautiful Lavender plant. Gardening is hard! But I am having fun non the less.

BrokenThumb
Newly Registered

I have replanted the Sage in a slightly larger pot. The root ball was about 8" around and just as deep. The loose or other roots filled the pot. I broke up the loose roots and soil to replant in new pot in the late afternoon. I used 1 1/2 bags Miracle grow cactus soil and watered it until water ran out the bottom. The next morning it perked right up and the new sprouts with leaves at the bottom were stiff and strong.

A few days later some of the brown curled leaves are soft to the touch and a few seam to be changing color. Some leaves are still shriveling but most of them even though brown are soft to the touch.
A week later I fully watered it again and it seams to have perked up completely and looks like it's trying to recover still. I guess time will tell.
The only growth is the small sprouts at the bottom they have grown about 2" so far.

At this point I think (if it's a good idea) to do a full water every week.

Return to “Gardening with Native Plant Species”