TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Panax quinquefolium (American Ginseng)

Just for clarification because I am finding a lot of Ginseng out there,
American Ginseng is Panax quinquefolium.

Korean Ginseng is Panax ginseng
Sanqui or Tienqi ginseng is Panax notoginseng
Pearl Ginseng is Panax elegantior
Asian or Chinese or Oriental Ginseng is Panax quinquefolius
Himalayan Ginseng is Panax pseudoginseng subsp. himalaicus
Japanese Ginseng is Panax pseudoginseng subsp. japonicus

There is a Siberian Gnseng out there too although it is not considered a true Ginseng. The Siberian Ginseng is Eleutherococcus senticosus. Other plants that are often referred to as Ginsengs are-
Prince ginseng (Pseudostellaria heterophylla)
Female ginseng (Angelica sinensis, aka Dong Quai)
Indian ginseng (Withania somnifera, aka Ashwagandha)
Brazilian ginseng (Pfaffia paniculata)

Most of the nurseries I'm familiar with are sold out already so I'm batting a thousand.

NEWisc

And just to add a wee bit more confusion to the 'ginsngs', There is a neat little native called Dwarf Ginseng (Panax trifolius):
https://plants.usda.gov/java/profile?symbol=PATR2&mapType=nativity&photoID=patr2_002_ahp.tif
. :D

TheLorax
Greener Thumb

Excellent that you added Panax trifolius.

(sigh) Not native to where I garden or I would be looking for it. I love that plant and I've seen it growing wild in the UP. Do you have it where you garden? I don't think I've ever seen P. trifolius for sale not even at a native plant sale.

NEWisc

Yes, I see it fairly often in my area. I even have a few plants in my yard that I rescued from a construction site. I would have a lot more, but I really didn't know much about the plant when I had the opportunity to rescue them. They have a deep root system that you wouldn't expect from such a little plant. The little tuber at the bottom of the stem is often 5 - 6 inches deep, and the stem to the tuber is very thin and delicate. The only way they can be moved is to dig a deep clump of soil and handle it very gently.

[img]https://wisplants.uwsp.edu/bigphoto/PANTRI_CAC.jpg[/img]

Even though they are difficult to move, they are fairly easy to grow. They like a moist humus-rich soil in a shady position in a woodland.

I haven't seen them offered for sale either. I suspect that their fragile stem and the deep tuber make them too difficult to ship and transplant successfully.

Return to “Gardening with Native Plant Species”