rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Solanum carolinense

Just thought I would share. Today's dog walk in the park, looking at the plants we were walking by, I spotted some potato flowers! I wondered what potatoes would be doing there, so stopped to look. I went to touch one and it bit me! Very sharp little spines all along the stem and leaf undersides, along the midrib.

Not a potato! The leaves are single, alternate. I found this one. It is Solanum carolinense, Carolina horse nettle. It is a native to SE US. It is of course in the nightshade family, with potatoes and tomatoes.

I was pleased to find a new native wildflower! :)

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

We have a lot of those here in the flower beds. These are LITERALLY a pain to pull out. They make tiny purple fruits that look like true potato fruit as well. They make a tuner as well, which is difficult to remove. They come back every time you pull them up, thanks to the tubers.

applestar
Mod

They are EXCELLENT trap crop for potato beetles.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wow! thanks applestar, that is really good to know... though it is hard for me to understand why a potato beetle would prefer to crawl along all those really sharp spines, rather than crawling on a nice smooth potato stem. :)

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

Those things poke through even the toughest of yard gloves!

applestar
Mod

Trick is to grab/hold the stem just below the soil line where there are no thorns -- Small ones will come up if you keep a firm hold even barehanded. I've also used a pair of big pliers after loosening soil with garden fork if necessary for larger specimen.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

*noted!

Flea Beatles like them, too!

Return to “Gardening with Native Plant Species”