charlotteann1
Newly Registered

Garden in the Swiss Alps

Hi, I am English but live in a Swiss ski resort at 1300 metres and we have recently inherited a big garden and I have never done any gardening before! It has some beautiful big ferns, forest and lots of bushes and plants that I don't recognise. The garden has just thawed from the snow and a lot of the ground is covered in squashed plants, pine needles, and grasses, and it has loads of rocks that are covered in moss and are buried - we inherited it from someone who had died so it has been neglected for the last 18 months. I am going to try to clear the grounds of all the mush and moss as best I can, but I need some advice about what to plant when I have some nice clear soil. I am going to start with an area around the fir trees where the soil seems quite 'mulchy'. Does anyone know anything about bushes or plants that thrive at this altitude and that will survive both the heat and lack of humidity in the summer, and 4 months of being covered in snow? How about roses and rhododendrons? What about smaller flowers and things like herbs and heather? Many thanks :)

digitS'
Super Green Thumb

We need the US Colorado gardeners!

I'm a bit further north, Charlotte Ann. However, the lower elevation here (about half yours) means I'm not faced with quite the same challenges.

Rhododendrons are often lost through our winters. A temperature of -20C seems really hard on them. There are some azalea hybrids that are very popular.

Mahonia grows wild here, as does Amelanchier. Roses too, but they are NOT the rose species we usually find in gardens. Except for some climbing/rambling varieties, I don't see many prospering, especially not the hybrid teas. Another wild shrub is Philadelphus lewisii.

Lilacs. They must have broad adaptability.

Now, we need some ideas from higher elevation gardeners!

Steve

Mr green
Green Thumb

Rhododendrons will work fine in the alps due to the snow, I have them and many in Sweden grow them and they can take atleast -35. The snow helps, but I had them live threw quite snow free summers too. A problem if is you have water standing so you get frozen ground and in spring the sun heats up waking up the plant with its roots still frozen, and is said can kill it. Moss in your garden also probably means its good ph for the Rhododendrons. Woodash or lime parts of the garden you want to grow vegtebles and other plants wanting a ph slightly higher.

Roses will work fine too but not just any rose, some breed varieties are hardier than others, the more original are hardy nad will give you rosenips.

Helleborus species should be fantastic for your location, and can bloom early when snow is still present, likes a shady or partial shaded spot. You might wanna look up if they can take the heat in the summer, but being a shade liking plant there is probably a good cool spot for it.

Tulips, crocus, snowdrops, hyacinths and similar bulbroot plants are very good and real low maintainance

Blueberries! Likes low ph like rhododendron if you want foodcrops, they are quite beautiful too specially in fall when the leaves turn to yellow, orange and red.

Gooseberry would probably do fine as well, black currant, hybrid grapes, wild strawberries.

How cold do you get?

ButterflyLady29
Greener Thumb

You want to get rid of your moss and I spent part of yesterday trying to plant some. I have seen some absolutely lovely moss gardens.

Return to “Gardening with Native Plant Species”