HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Rhododendron care

I just did a little research and now realize that I have been a bad mom to my rhodys (rhododendrons). It's July and not the right time for fertilizer. So considering the neglect that I am guilty of, would it be better to fertilize now in July or wait until fall? I am planning to add some mulch this weekend which should help some. I have 3 rhodies and the drought has affected 1 of them, the wimpiest one. I don't know why it's wimpy. I transplanted it and it's always been that way. I am going to be a better rhody mom from here forward but in the meantime I want to do the right thing for my sick looking rhody. I don't want to kill it. I've been watering it enough, but the hotter than normal weather lately is taking it's toll. I think it's a Martha Washington rhody. I know it needs fertilizer but the issue is whether to fertilizer now or wait. Thank you for your help.

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

Don't fertilize now, better really early in the spring than now. If you are concerned then you could add a little sulfur to the soil before you mulch, that will help the plants absorb the nutrients that are in the ground. For acid loving plants, using sulfur will often accomplish the same thing as fertilizing, but much gentler.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Thank you!

Return to “Gardening with Native Plant Species”