applestar
Mod

Re: Flowers in bloom now

Blue Flag Iris in the NE Corner Bog Garden

...and Virginia Sweetspire next to it

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Bee balm, purple coneflower, salvia, asters, gayfeather any day now, lavender, petunias, begonias, etc etc
IMG_2271.JPG
IMG_2272.JPG
mullein would have been blooming, but I cut it all back, so it will make multiple flower stalks, not just one.

(Special bonus, if you click on the bottom one, you will see one of our chickens in the background. I didn't even realize I was taking her picture. :) )

applestar
Mod

Monarda Jacob Cline in iPhone 8 Portrait mode :D

lovegardening
Newly Registered

Beautiful flowers! I love planting honeysuckles.

applestar
Mod

Lilies — native Turk’s Cap (in portrait mode and regular) and lone surviving yellow Asiatic Lily — I think others got eaten by chipmunks and/or voles. The shorter ones are either remnants of other survivors or pieces of bulb scale that propagated and grew.

applestar
Mod

applestar
Mod

Sunflowers and Pink&Purple Mexican corn...

...also...

What happens to sunflowers and corn when you give up on planting them and leave them in their cups.....

applestar
Mod

I have a super neglected Abraham Darby rose. I didn’t even weed around it this year, but it grows as a climber so managed to stay above the riff-raff.

I noticed it had put on two dainty (stunted) blooms today, and they smelled so wonderful that I decided to enjoy them inside. I found a few other blooming plants to keep them company in the vase (bottle) then walked around the garden with it, looking for a good background to take a picture in front of.

- The Portrait mode image on the right turned out nice, but the limited focal depth cut off the sprig of Red shiso at the top, making the arrangement look unbalanced.....

- Abraham Darby rose
- Autumn Joy sedum
- Blue Mist flower
- Garlic Chice blossoms
- Red (aka) Shiso (perilla)
- Goldenrod
- Aka Manma (red rice) flower

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Sunflowers still blooming, daylilies just quit a few days ago after blooming for months, beautyberry not blooming, but covered in those neon purple berries, reblooming azalea is reblooming, camellia is covered in buds (but they are small and will take awhile yet), my yard is covered in little red cypress vine flowers which the hummingbirds and sulphur butterflies love. (The cypress vine has now appeared in the front yard also, even though I only ever planted it in back. It is actually becoming a bit weedy and can tend to smother other stuff.) Asters of course. Sedum not blooming yet. Carolina allspice and lorapetalum keep putting out one more blossom here and there. Okra (I think their flowers are beautiful) and squash blossoms. New guinea impatiens just keep blooming and blooming. Goldenrod, zinnias hanging in there, black eyed susans still producing some flowers, especially the ones I did some deadheading on. Dianthus around the mailbox keeps blooming and blooming despite little care and being overtaken by the lawn growing back into their bed.

Added: I forgot, the blanket flower (gaillardia) in the front foundation planting keeps blooming and blooming. It is a solid yellow version, which I was not expecting. I think when it is done and the weather breaks, I will move it to the back yard and plant something there that goes with the color scheme better. Lavender is blooming. Not flowering exactly, but the pink muhly grass has its delicate pink seed heads and all the pokeweed is in deep purple berries.

Added again Some of the bee balm succumbed to powdery mildew (which monarda is very susceptible to), but some of it is still hanging in there and producing flowers. Annual and perennial salvias still blooming as long as I keep them dead headed.
Last edited by rainbowgardener on Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:13 am, edited 3 times in total.

imafan26
Mod

Double rose pikake (Jasmine sambac), Princess Michiko Hibiscus, Roses, a few dendrobiums, Parrot beak heliconia, Desert honeysuckle (It is a weed coming from my neighbor's yard,) Dragon fruit, Crown of thorns, bougainvillea, and lavender. The eggplant and peppers are putting out new flowers.

applestar
Mod

Honeysuckle “Alabama Crimson”, Golden Alexander, Rhododendron, German Iris close-up, Alternating-leaf Dogwood, German Iris, Whorled Milkweed? (mine seems to be blue but is supposed to be white), native Azalea “DelMarVa?”
9867917C-06FD-408F-9155-3BD0A41BA932.jpeg

applestar
Mod

It used to be much more muted dusty color — maybe it’s trying to compete with the Amsonia Tabernaemontana “Blue Star” ...Unless it’s possible fore those two to cross....? Amsonia isn’t blooming just yet this year. * It’s true, though, that the color isn’t as sky blue as it looks due to trick of the light/photo in the above photo. *

Subject: Flowers in bloom now
applestar wrote:
Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:35 pm
applestar wrote:Image

Whorled Milkweed Asclepias verticillata
Amsonia tabernaemontana blue star
Erigeron (fleabane?) -- I'm actually allergic to these, but DH must have thought they were pretty -- you can see he mowed all around it and left it standing in the grass near the shed :lol: He will also almost always leave flowers in the lawn unmowed, especially if there are bees working them.
Yellow Baptista has joined the party :wink:
I thought I'd lost this plant. It hadn't shown up for the last couple of years -- well almost ...LAST year, I saw the round leaves and thought "wait a minute, could this possibly be...?" But it didn't bloom last year. NOW the three plants I planted together for this color effect are in synch. :-()

...it's kind of funny -- in this photo, the yucca flower stalks are not up yet, right? I can't see them. But just today, looking out of the window, I saw that they are up and already about 3 feet tall -- I've no idea when they showed up.

applestar
Mod

Lyre-leaf sage and Sweet yellow clover patch in our polyculture lawn is blooming.
F7A19566-DDA4-4750-BB57-C624AD7C85E6.jpeg
More than a little worried that I’m not seeing the blossoms buzzing with bees and wasps … but hopefully the hummingbirds are getting a kick out of visiting the purple flowers.

Lyre-leaf Sage is a Native American herbal and this is supposed to be the time — to harvest “the aerial parts when they’re in full bloom”

imafan26
Mod

Beautiful. I noticed that too. The camera has a hard time capturing the true blue color of some of the plants.

imafan26
Mod

I have a lot of orchids in bloom right now and the Little Chief crepe myrtle is blooming early.
Attachments
Crepe myrtle  "Little Chief" blooming one month early
Crepe myrtle "Little Chief" blooming one month early
vanda Miniatum x self
vanda Miniatum x self
Milt. Morris Chestnut "H171"
Milt. Morris Chestnut "H171"
Phal. L. Hsin Chandre
Phal. L. Hsin Chandre
Cym. "Golden Elf"
Cym. "Golden Elf"
Phais Lady Ramona Harris "Looking at You"
Phais Lady Ramona Harris "Looking at You"
H. mutabilis aka dbl Confederate Rose
H. mutabilis aka dbl Confederate Rose
Jasmine sambac (Double rose pikake)
Jasmine sambac (Double rose pikake)

applestar
Mod

Common milkweed (Asclepius syriaca) on left is starting to bloom, and right on cue, a male scout-ahead Monarch butterfly visited the orange butterfly weed (A. tuberosa)
Attachments
72E5AB04-EC20-4EB7-819E-152645179666.jpeg

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Yard is filled with 1000s of nice little flowers every spring.
Attachments
100_7403.JPG
100_7404.JPG
100_7405.JPG
100_7409.JPG
100_7411.JPG
100_7412.JPG
100_7416.JPG

imafan26
Mod

Very nice. I just cut some of the roses and I need to cut the rest, so the peak bloom won't happen for about 6 weeks. The lilies do look nice and some of the flowers you have, I don't see here because they probably don't bloom in my zone. I have to go out and take more pictures now.

Return to “Gardening with Native Plant Species”