applestar
Mod

What's this native to NJ/Pa groundcover?

I thought this was where I had planted the Tierella cordifolia (Foam flower), but I don't think this is it. Could anyone tell me what this is?
image.jpg
...is it Pachysandra?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Challenging, applestar!

I'm not sure it isn't tiarella. The little flowers look pretty much like it, and there are so many different tiarella varieties around now in lots of different sizes and shapes and variegations. Here's one:

https://www.greenleafnursery.com/_ccLib/ ... T-1824.jpg

But maybe it is your native pachysandra, the Allegheny spurge (pachysandra procumbens):

https://www.carolinanature.com/trees/papr1503.jpg

pinksand
Greener Thumb

Those flowers do look very tiarella-like, but seeing RBG's photo of the allegheny spurge it looks very similar in both flower and leaf. I have several types of tiarella, some clumping and one that creeps (running tapestry?), and the leaf and growth pattern just don't look quite "tiarella" to me.

applestar
Mod

Yes! I think you are both correct! I kept thinking pachysandra would be solid bright green color and didn't realize the native species was mottled like that. And like you both mentioned, the flowers seemed like Tierella's.

Also, I was cleaning up my gardening tool bag today and FOUND the plastic label "Pachysandra procumbens" inside the bag. :oops: :roll: So now I know WHERE to put it. :lol: (after weeding the periwinkle, creeping charlie and garlic mustard and cleaning up the area, mulching, etc. :wink:)

My Iris ...(can't remember the name -- the short little one with blue flowers -- cristata? ) is scattered all over the area. I'm thinking DH must have mowed into it :x -- but they seem to have survived the attack and have basically multiplied. (Whew!m :-() )

Return to “Gardening with Native Plant Species”