pinksand
Greener Thumb

Dying Mountain Laurel

I planted 3 mountain Laurels (Kalmia Latifolia 'Sarah') last year in a site that receives morning sun. One is growing lushly with lots of beautiful buds. A second had to be moved in the fall due to a nearby plant encroaching on its space. This second one receives the most sun, is more exposed than the others, and isn't quite as lush due to being over crowded last season but it looks very healthy and also has flower buds.

The third Kalmia is the problem child. The poor thing is turning brown and doesn't have a bud in sight. I'm fairly certain that it won't make it :( It receives a little more sun than the first laurel and a bit less than the second, but the leaves almost look burnt. I would have assumed that if any of them didn't survive it would be the second one that was transplanted. Laurel #3 looked worse and worse as winter progressed so could it just be a matter of frost getting to it? It's just so strange that the other two are doing so well and this one is failing when they're all in similar conditions.

Return to “Gardening with Native Plant Species”