jam583

Help me identify this

We purchased a home 2 years ago with a really nice English style garden/court yard at the entry way. These are growing right now. I don't want to pull them, even though my knowledge is they are just a weed. So, I thought I would ask. Any thoughts?
20140415_093530_Android.jpg

applestar
Mod

I think garlic mustard. Try bruising and smelling a leaf.

jam583

applestar wrote:I think garlic mustard. Try bruising and smelling a leaf.
Well, that was quick! Just did some research on your suggestion and yes, that's what it is. Thoughts on keeping it around? I will try to dig up a photo of where it's growing. Bascially, we have an outdoor patio, that swings off the main entrance of the house. It's about 30 years old, brick, and all kinds of cool plants grow. Right now, it's bare to mulch. In about a month, all kind of joyful things pop up. Last year, I'm pretty sure I weeded all this out.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No, no, no.... it is garlic mustard and it is a hugely invasive weed. Yes it is edible, but you never have to worry about preserving some to eat. You will have garlic mustard no matter what you do. I pull it constantly. I even pull it from other people's yards as I am walking by, because I hate the stuff so much.

jam583

rainbowgardener wrote:No, no, no.... it is garlic mustard and it is a hugely invasive weed. Yes it is edible, but you never have to worry about preserving some to eat. You will have garlic mustard no matter what you do. I pull it constantly. I even pull it from other people's yards as I am walking by, because I hate the stuff so much.
It's coming out today when I mulch!! Thanks for the input. I might have a few more photos of things I am trying to identify :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

check out my post dated Apr 25, 2012 in this thread https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 46#p328146 (which was recently re-activated).

You will understand my feelings about garlic mustard better, when you know I was part of a group that pulled 500 large garbage bags of them out of a section of national park forest! I'm afraid to go back now and look to see if they have all come back. :(

jam583

rainbowgardener wrote:check out my post dated Apr 25, 2012 in this thread https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... 46#p328146 (which was recently re-activated).

You will understand my feelings about garlic mustard better, when you know I was part of a group that pulled 500 large garbage bags of them out of a section of national park forest! I'm afraid to go back now and look to see if they have all come back. :(
Link doesn't seem to work .. was just cutting today .. over 4 acres I see this stuff EVERYWHERE now that I am looking.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Return to “Gardening with Native Plant Species”