tomc
Super Green Thumb

Shumate

It seems that in Old Texican the name shumate exists. Mostly everybody else who speaks English calls 'em sumac.

I have not heard much of using sumac as a mast or human fodder. In this I may be wrong (or its kin to high bush cranberry, meaning no one will eat it).

That is not my problem to solve. what is though, is how would a new grower start that seed?

At this point I'm encouraging a winters cold stratification.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

[youtudotbe]https://youtu.be/DEeS_QgXv4c[/youtudotbe]

tomc
Super Green Thumb

I don't have sound hooked up on this computer. That said I have notified circumspice of this video. I'll bet she really wants to see it.

Thanks

Susan W
Greener Thumb

The staghorn sumac is a native tree, well small tree. It is usually seen growing in clumps in disturbed and/or neglected areas, seen as a weed tree. I use the berries for dye, rendering a nice tan used alone, a soft grey with addition of iron.

To get some started I would think digging up small trees would work. Now that could be easy or problematic. If at roadside, not always good to go out with shovel! I am equipped with scissors and baggie, and just get the berries. If on someone's 'back 40', best to check with property owner before digging. I would guess spring when they start new growth best time.

Return to “Gardening with Native Plant Species”