tenderloingardener
Cool Member

California Poppies

This plant, which is virtually a wildflower here, with a couple of different types of wild varieties, as well as some nice hybrids. Like most poppies they do not transplant well, but since they are all over, I can collect seed pods without harming the plant, especially since in many of our city-owned (public) places, they buy new plants every year.

I've read you can sow in the fall for blooms in the spring, lean soil, sunny spot. Any other ideas for someone doing this inexpensively-not purchasing plants.

I am also interested in other poppies-all kinds of them. I would like to post a new subject- but I'm not sure if I should put it in "container gardening" which is what I have to do since there is no yard, or flier growing-which seems to be, from my admittedly brief glance, to be more about design for people's yards. Any advice here?
I'm new and am trying very hard not to be a jerk. :o .
People here have been really nice and very helpful.

In the heart of the city,
Shawna

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Welcome, I'm glad you are finding this a friendly place. I don't think you have to try so hard not to be a jerk. It seems like you are pretty naturally not a jerk :D and asking questions is what this place is here for.

You said tenderloin gardener -- that's SanFrancisco, right? Us midwesterners aren't so familiar with SF neighborhoods.

California poppies aren't "virtually" a wildflower in Calif. They ARE a wildflower, in fact the state wildflower. So yes, plant your seeds in fall for earlier bloom in spring or you can plant them in spring.

And yes Container Gardening forum would be good place to ask your questions about poppies in containers. It isn't mainly landscape design.

tenderloingardener
Cool Member

Yup. The state flower, grows wild all over California, but not so much in San Francisco. Most things are there on purpose here, though many gardeners allow reseeding wherever they please. I'm not sure if I'd call the cultivated hybrids exactly "wild" though they get the same name. True-the Tenderloin is a rather notorious neighborhood in the city here. We have a blessedly diverse population, and while the Wikipedia article is good in the main, I know that this area was significantly rougher in the 80's and 90's. Though, in SF the fact is, none of our neighborhoods are all that "bad" in terms of crime and poverty when compared to areas in Detroit, Baltimore, D.C. , et cetra.
The crime gets all the attention, but the reality is that we look out for each other, we look out for the kids, and while the latest gentrification puscht is on, I'd like to promote and make visible this ignored aspect of this area. Most of us residents view the police as the biggest threat to our community.
Sorry, got me in one of my passion spots.
Best wishes,

Shawna

Return to “Gardening with Native Plant Species”