KYGreenThumb
Newly Registered

Anyone from Central/North Central Kentucky or a similar 6B?

Hello everyone, this is my first posting and after reading several posts on native fruiting plants I wanted to ask a few questions. I was hoping to hear back from some folks in Central Kentucky or a similar Zone 6b climates.

I have taken a strong interest in gardening and would like to plant some fruiting bushes/trees to supplement our Grocery Cart by growing my own! I understand that native plants will do the best, production wise, but the Paw Paw and the Persimmon are not something I'm going to be able to talk my family (Wife and 2 boys under 7yrs) into trying let alone working into our regular diet. I need more conventional options.

With that said, I need recommendations as to what else grows well enough in my area to help me accomplish my goals. I am fully prepared and plan to plant between to 15-20 fruiting trees, so please share your experiences with me. Also, if you know of any that will produce as a indoor house plant it would be very helpful.

I appreciate all the suggestions in advance!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I'm in Ohio in 6B. I don't know anything much about fruit trees, but since no one has responded, I thought I would throw my 2 cents in.

The easiest way to have fruit in home gardens is berries. Strawberries, blackberries, raspberries would all be easy for you to grow and to a lesser extent blueberries. Mulberry trees are native to KY and very productive. And of course canteloupes and watermelons.

As far as fruit trees other than paw paw and persimmon, like I said, not something I know about, but I think apple and cherry trees grow well in your climate. A few blocks from me is a huge old apricot tree. Most years it blooms to early and gets blasted by a late frost, but every few years it makes it through and produces a huge crop. You might be just enough farther south that you would have apricots more often.

Hopefully this bumps your question so that someone who knows more about fruit trees will respond.

tomc
Super Green Thumb

Less conventional (but still yummy):
Persimmon
hazel nut

Conventional to me:
pecan
walnut (black or persian)
blueberry, huckleberry, sparklebery, amelancher
peach (most prunus)
apple
pear
Cane-fruit--rassberry blackberry etc.
grape--muscadine concord

Now this is just a list, but I cannot beleive your local county extension can't suggest for some of my list dozens of cultivars for each.

You are living in about ground zero for a place suitable to grow most northern temperate trees.

Some fruiting trees do have requirements for chilling hours before trees will set bloom (and fruit), your local agent should be able to give advice on that too.

Return to “Gardening with Native Plant Species”