wsommariva

Native Ferns

Hi everyone,

We have wonderful ferns growing beneath our oak trees. I dug up about 60 feet of root system to transplant in a shady area. This area has dead soil. I dug down an inch or so, put down the roots and covered with partially decomposed oak leaves. And watered watered watered.

So, any thought if I need to do anything additional?

thanks

HamptonsGarden

It always help to add compost. Not sure what type of ferns they are but you might add a very light application of fertilizer like seaweed or fish emulsion. ALso keep them very damp for their first year while the roots get adjusted.

I transplant ferns all the time with success. I typically amend soil of area that I'm planting with leaf compost first. Then transplant ferns when dormant or just as they are emerging in spring. Water is the best insurance for their success.

My best transplants are ostrich ferns followed by cinnamon and royal ferns. I transplanted some Christmas ferns last fall, but they haven't taken off yet. Log ferns transplant well too. I usually just cut out a clump, leaving some in original place. Use a sharp spade as some of these have tough root systems.

HamptonsGarden

It always help to add compost. Not sure what type of ferns they are but you might add a very light application of fertilizer like seaweed or fish emulsion. ALso keep them very damp for their first year while the roots get adjusted.

I transplant ferns all the time with success. I typically amend soil of area that I'm planting with leaf compost first. Then transplant ferns when dormant or just as they are emerging in spring. Water is the best insurance for their success.

My best transplants are ostrich ferns followed by cinnamon and royal ferns. I transplanted some Christmas ferns last fall, but they haven't taken off yet. Log ferns transplant well too. I usually just cut out a clump, leaving some in original place. Use a sharp spade as some of these have tough root systems.

wsommariva

Thanks Jeff. Last years crop almost all failed. I did a lazy job at transplanting though. Last week I transplanted another 14 plants. I did a much better job. Dug a hole, added my own compost, planted and then added compost on top. I water every day or so. So far they look happy. So I am hopeful.

Don't know what type ferns they are. Typical Northern NJ ones.

The underlying soil is claylike. Think I need to dig down 6 inches and replace it with topsoil?

HamptonsGarden

Is the soil of the new location significantly different than their original home? I think mixing in compost and maybe a little shredded pine bark (you can find at nurseries or Home Depot) could help lighten and enrich soil. Top soil is good too, but compost mixed withe existing dirt should create a rich topsoil itself. The bark helps with aeration and will break down over years to enrich soil too. After the first planting year, add some compost as a top dressing each spring and that will be the best fertilizer. You could also add some ground up leaves from fall cleanup for a winter cover, but not necessary just helpful. As I mentioned before, most ferns love moisture so keep them damp as they get adjusted. Good Luck.

wsommariva

Ok thank you. I think I'm heading in the right direction. Soil in new location is similar to where the established ferns are only for the top inch.

I'll add some more transplants and this time replace soil with topsoil/compost mix. My homemade compost has oak leaves. Established ferns are within the oaks. I will get a bag or two of pine bark mulch next time I go to HD.

And the water - won't forget it.

HamptonsGarden

Water yes, but don't drown them. Just keep them moist. And they may look a little raggy in the summer heat for first season, but just water as usual and they will look better next year.

wsommariva

Ok

wsommariva

Jeff,

Would that be shredded pine bark or nuggets?

Return to “Gardening with Native Plant Species”