sfaye
Newly Registered

Unidentified Sponge Plant

I believe this plant must be regional because I see it all around my hometown of Newark, DE. It is also used in the University's landscaping and I know they try to use native species. I've been trying to figure out what it is for some time, but no one seems to know what it is.

I'll describe it to the best of my ability: a number of separate stalks grow from the same area. I don't know if they're connected underground (I've managed to keep myself from digging one up so far) but there's no connected trunk or base above ground. Each stalk is smooth and there's no wood anywhere on the plant. About 1-1.5 feet up from the ground, the stalk branches into a number of minor stalks. From these minor stalks, there are tons of needle-like leaves. From a distance, the entire plant looks like a giant sponge. And the best part of it - it's plain green in the spring and summer, but at this time of year it turns a bright yellow color, making it look even more like a sponge :D .

Here's a picture of one of the minor stalks, cut from just above where the main stalk branches:
[img]https://www.udhumanemotionslab.com/sponge%20plant%20pic.png[/img]

And here's an illustration of the plant's structure:
[img]https://www.udhumanemotionslab.com/sponge%20plant%20illustration.png[/img]

I really want to find out what this plant it. It's fascinating and I love waiting for it to change color every fall. If I'm remembering correctly, it will lose its needle-leaves soon and just have the stalks remaining over winter. It does not die off completely. The stalks will remain like a skeletal base until next spring.

I really appreciate any help that anyone can give me in identifying this plant. It's been driving me crazy for years! [/img]

shadylane
Green Thumb

Reminds me of the water buttercup-ranunculus. Perhaps going to an office of landscaping of the Universty could be a place of answers.

sfaye
Newly Registered

Thank you. I did get in touch with someone at the Botanic Gardens at the university and they identified it as Amsonia Hubrichtii. Apparently it does flower in the springtime, small blue flowers, and I've just never seen it bloom. Looking forward to watching for them next spring!

applestar
Mod

Wow, I have Amsonia in my garden but could not have put the two together from what you showed us! Oh well. glad you got your ID.

Mine flowers at the same time as yellow Baptista and look charming. :D

Return to “Gardening with Native Plant Species”