RyNJ
Cool Member

Hickory nuts. And I don't know what to do with them.

Went hiking this weekend and got a bunch of them. I've never eaten or used them before, but I was hoping someone on here would be able to suggest how to get the ready for use. :D After removing the yellow-green husk, what should I do (and if I wasn't supposed to do that, too late :? )?

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

keep the husks for mulch if you haven't gotten rid of them. Spray any dirt off the nuts and put them in the sun to dry. Turn them every day or so for about a week and then they are ready to crack and use, that simple.

thanrose
Greener Thumb

You can let them dry in the husks and they will gradually split and fall away. I kinda like forcing the issue and shucking them off.

I also roast my hickory nuts in a slow oven after I've let them cure in a sheltered area, spread out, for a few weeks.

Once they are roasted, they are a lot easier to crack, but it depends on the hickory. I also find it easier to pick the meat.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

it would be good to know what kind you've got...some are notoriously bad-tasting, or too much work for too little payoff. some are really good, though.

Return to “Gardening with Native Plant Species”