angelaaloisio

Stinging nettle

Is anyone familiar with Stinging nettle? How to grow?

Darth Oblio

angelaaloisio wrote:Is anyone familiar with Stinging nettle? How to grow?
I've used nettles for many years but am just growing it in the garden for the first time. Nettle likes moist soil but not soggy. They will tolerate dryness for a while, but are not drought-tolerant. I keep mine in open shade. If you're using nettles for food, avoid eating them after the plant has grown tall and gone to seed. The tender leaves and shoots are great with other wild greens. I also use nettle in soaps and shampoos. The stems provide fiber that has been used for fishnets and for rope.

BuckeyeBlooms
Newly Registered

Hello

Virginia Girl
Newly Registered

I don't know how to grow it, but here is a remedy if you get stung. In England, Dock usually grows around the same area. Maybe the plants like the same condition. If stung, you rub Dock leaves on the skin and it usually stops the sting. So, also plant some Dock.

Turbogus

Perhaps it's a horse of a different color (or plant as it were) but over the years I've heard of nettle tea. :shock:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I've never deliberately planted stinging nettle, but I don't think it is very hard to grow, because it pops up as a weed in my yard. When I see it I let it grow for awhile, because it is really good for your compost pile, but I don't let it go to seed, because I don't want a yard full of it.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

yeah, pretty tough stuff. you may need to keep it weeded, but once it's established, the patch will just grow and grow. they like it kinda damp, would probably like a little shade rather than full all-the-time sun. I tried for years to grow it from seed with little luck, but once I gave up on that and just got a plant, no problems.

Return to “Gardening with Native Plant Species”