rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

wood poppy

I have a bunch of wood poppy spreading itself around my hillside. Hadn't been back there for awhile because of all the rain. I finally took advantage of a little break and went and walked around. I was amazed. The wood poppy apparently loves all the rain and is HUGE. I never knew it could get so big. Some is almost waist high and equally big around.

This description:

https://www.degroot-inc.com/product_info.php?cPath=21_36&products_id=244

says height to 18". Some of mine must be over two feet tall, maybe even closing in on three feet. Anyone else seen this?

applestar
Mod

Where are the photos? I want pictures! :lol: :> :wink:
...but please be careful not to slip on the wet slope angling for the best shot! :wink: :wink:

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

That must look beautiful all over your hillside. They must really like your conditions to get so big. :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, they seem to especially like all this rain, most years they aren't so big. But even in dry years they do well here and spread themselves around freely (but not quite aggressively, not so it's a problem). Many of the woodland shade plants don't like my alkaline soil. There's lots of things I would love to grow, that I just can't. I don't know if the wood poppy actually likes alkaline soil or just tolerates it well, but anyway I'm grateful. The wood poppy and the virginia bluebells make a lovely display together each spring.

Return to “Gardening with Native Plant Species”