planter

Sinocalycanthus.. Almost a native??

I'm busy digging a hole for the above plant. (Hartlett Wine)?? and was just wondering if anyone is familier? I have a partial sun/partial shade spot I would like to put it in but I also have an almost full sun spot as well.
Do you think I can get away cleanly with the partial heavier shade??? The hole has a bunch of my "mostly" finished compost in it as well as a nice mess O Seaweed which was rinsed but not composted. I would not be so concerned but lots of different thoughts on location as well as soil ect. I have gotten five different vender views on even HOW big it's gonna get. :?

What does they straight up Calycanthus do long term. Does it lend itself to the pruners ect and how big??

The hole is saying plant me but I hate misplacing a plant....I gotta say that by any standards it's a fine hole. Wide but not too deep with some gypson forked straight into the sub-soil.

When they say a five dollar hole for a fifty cent plant I have them whooped bad. this has got to be a twenty dollar hole!!!!!!!!! :D :wink: :roll:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Half native maybe! :) The Sino in the name means China...

Here's the story on it:

This exciting, new hybrid from the JC Raulston Arboretum is celebrating its first spring with a new botanical name, xSinocalycalycanthus raulstonii 'Hartlage Wine', and common name, Raulston allspice. This unique intergeneric hybrid is the first successful cross between Calycanthus floridus, our native sweetshrub or Carolina allspice, and Sinocalycanthus chinensis, its rare Chinese counterpart.

The creation of the new genus, xSinocalycalycanthus, has an intriguing story. It all began within a few years following the first flowering of the parent, S. chinensis on the North American continent. Sinocalycanthus chinensis was first discovered in eastern China in Zhejiang Province in 1963. It was distributed from Shanghai Botanical Garden to the University of British Columbia (UBC) Botanical Garden, where it bloomed in 1984. Cuttings were obtained by J. C. Raulston, Ph.D., Director of the NCSU Arboretum from Gerald Straley, Ph.D., then curator of the Asian Collection at UBC Botanical Garden. By 1991, the plant at the NCSU Arboretum was thriving at nearly six feet tall.

One day while observing C. floridus in the Arboretum, it was noticed that although the flowers were very different, the fruits looked similar to those of S. chinensis. Was it possible that these two different genera might be able to be successfully crossed? Richard Hartlage, who was an undergraduate in Horticultural Science at NCSU working at the Arboretum, was asked to take on the project. ...

In 1991, under the direction of J. C. Raulston, Richard performed a series of reciprocal crosses between the two parents. Using S. chinensis as the female parent and C. floridus as the male, one seedpod was successfully produced with six seeds inside. After stratification (cold treatment) all of the seeds germinated readily. As the seedlings grew, only four survived, which were eventually transferred to field plots. ...

July 2001, a scientific paper published in HortScience (authors: Todd Lasseigne, Paul Fantz, J. C. Raulston, and Gerald Straley) officially validated the name as xSinocalycalycanthus raulstonii 'Hartlage Wine'.
https://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/136980/

from the same article:

Raulston allspice is a great choice for woodland to moderately sunny gardens. This robust, deciduous shrub grows best in part shade. You can also grow it in full sun if ample moisture is provided.

So you should be able to plant it in either of your locations.

I have one of the native Carolina Allspice shrubs, but I wasn't quite clear what your question about it was. I have never pruned it, since it's growing in my native woodland garden; I want everything to be "wild" there. I don't think it would mind pruning.

I'm not surprised you get different answers about your mixed parentage one. Usually different genera won't cross. This inter-genera hybrid has only been in existence about twenty years and must be fairly rare. Where did you get it?

planter

Katsura Gardens in Plymouth, MA.. Maybe I should have grabbed both? TY very much for the detailed history and may it prove to be a prize!! :)

Return to “Gardening with Native Plant Species”