applestar
Mod

This years natives

This year's native plant purchase started at a local garden center (where they STOPPED labeling native plants :( )
Viburnum trilobum
Bloody Sorrel Rumex sangunea
Red Osier Dogwood Cornus stronifera
Then the local herb lady:
2 Aquilegia canadensis
I couldn't resist getting at a farmers stand:
Bleeding Heart Dicentra spectabilis (not native -- native to Asia)
But my MIL gave me 2 clumps of
Wild Bleeding Heart Dicentra eximia :D
Then the two spring native plant sales, and I managed to go to both this year:
Pinelands Preservation Alliance:
2 Royal Fern Osmunda regalis
2 highbush blueberries Vaccinium corymbosum
2 lowbush blueberries Vaccinium angustifolium
3 sundews
Bowman's Hill:
Inkberry Ilex glabra (male)
 Pagoda Dogwood Cornus alternifolia
Carolina Allspice Calycanthus floridus
 Virginia Sweetspire Itea virginica
 Strawberry-bush Euonymus americanus
False Sunflower Heliopsis helianthoides
3 Zizia aurea
Penstemon hirsutus
 2 Wood Poppy Stylophorum diphyllum
 Variegated Virginia Creeper Parthenocissus quinquefolia
Also, I grew from seed:
Blue Vine Milkweed Cynanchum laeve
Pitcher/Wild Blue Sage Salvia azurea
Divided:
Chelone glabra
Monada didyma 'Jacob Cline'
Penstemon digitalis 'Huskar Red'
And am rooting cuttings of:
Trumpet Honeysuckle Lonicera sempervirens

Hmm... I *think* that's all. :wink:

Sage Hermit
Green Thumb

I just did a search of Native herbs for MN and to my amazement there were 1270 herbs. Its like a baseball collection for you? Whats your plan? I am personally thrilled at the variety in native plants. No need to get exotic when the local selection is so big.

I updated my spring flowers photo journal. Please take a look again. :)

applestar
Mod

What's my plan? I'm planting them ALL on my 3/8 acre property! :lol:

Have you read Douglas Tallamy's Bringing Nature Home? I highly recommend it. [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24399]I posted about going to his lecture[/url].

I posted a reply to your [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24840]Spring Photo Journal thread[/url]. I hope more folks pitch in because I'm mostly only familiar with native flora in my area.

I'm sloooowwly eradicating non-native grass from my designated Sunny Meadow Garden. I have a little corner that I hope to fill with Blue-Eyed Grass (Sisyrinchium spp. -- haven't ID'd species :?:):
[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image6960.jpg[/img]
Here's another one that needs rescuing:
[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/Image6961.jpg[/img]

Rainbowgardener, I need advice on where to plant the Woods Poppy, please. -helpsos-

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I love the woods poppy! It is not very picky. It wants shade to part/dappled shade and rich organic soil (which you have in abundance! :) )

But I love it because it pretty much will grow anywhere except full sun. It likes my alkaline clay hillside. It freely self-seeds so pops up in new places every year. It is not quite invasive, but it does multiply itself ebulliently! :)

It gets covered in brilliant yellow flowers in the spring, then keeps producing a few more here and there all through the season.

My hillside was beautiful this spring because the woods poppy and virginia bluebells are both spreading themselves nicely so there were lots of blue and yellow flowers.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I will see you all of the above and raise you some goatsbeard, virginia bluebells, jack in the pulpit, blood root, twin leaf, witchhazel, pokeweed, etc!

You and I have very similar taste in plants!

applestar
Mod

Virginia Bluebells! That's what I forgot to add. I bought two of them to go with the Woods Poppies and yes, I bought them after reading about your lovely hillside. :D I don't have a hillside, but I want that spring display in the years to come! :()
I will see you all of the above and raise you....

Now, now. We're only talking about *this* year's new native aquisitions. If I list up all the other native plants I've planted so far, it would fill up the rest of this page! :lol:

I think we DO have similar selection of plants all over. It's too bad we can't join them side-by-side for Doug Tallamy's reverse suburban landscaping (adjoining native forests with just small patch(es) of lawn near the house). Maybe someday, enough people will come around to our way of thinking and our two properties will be part of a "Native Forest Corridor" -- we can dream.... :wink:

I was playing around with Satellite view map of my area, and I was shocked to realize that the little bit of woods we have behind our house is actually a tiny island, and my bit of native landscaping is a miniscule fraction of that. :sigh:

sweet thunder

That is an impressive list!
I have a few native plants already, and I'm adding modestly this year. At this spring's native plant sale I got western columbine, pacific coast iris, fairy bells, huckleberry, and a red flowering currant. Like you, I'm still trying to figure out where to put most of them.

planter

I tried to save some jack in the pulpet and they did not like it. The May Apple balked. . The osmundu and cinnimon ferns as well as what I think is "Hay scented" fern are doing fine. Really early move as I think it was just into april here.

Return to “Gardening with Native Plant Species”