WatchMeShove

fremontodendron help

I have a fremontodendron "san gabriel," which I got earlier this year. It is a native California plant species and I was under the impression that it is an evergreen. Even so, evergreen's do lose their leaves when they grow new ones. My fremontodendron just started to flower but about a week before the buds started to open some of the leaves turned yellow, like the flower color, and it has been dropping about one or two leaves a day. Is it normal for leaf drop to happen around the same time as flowering?? I repotted it about a month ago and think the plant could be in shock. My other fremontodendron is doing sort of the same thing except to a much smaller degree. The san gabriel has about 20-30% of it's leave yellowish color, while my other fremontodendron, "Ken taylor," is less than 10%. It also has a color that is much more like green and still looks healthy. What I am really asking is if you think the plant is dying and needs attention or should be fine if left alone? I have heard about plants that do leaf drop in spring before but don't own any, so I have no idea. In the picture you can see the yellowish leaf on the left and one of the flowers on the right side right underneath another yellow leaf.

[img]https://i882.photobucket.com/albums/ac21/watchmeshove/photo26.jpg[/img]

Return to “Gardening with Native Plant Species”