wogaswoga
Newly Registered

Super-Charging Northern California Wild Fern?

Hi,

I live in the foothill of SF bay area. My house is in a valley, doesn't get much sun so there are several native wild ferns around the house. The only thing is they are all pretty small.

I would love to get some tips on making these ferns grow bigger. What do they like? Do they need fertilizer? More water? Lullaby at night?

Thanks!

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It's hard to answer without knowing what kind of ferns you have. There are many different kinds and they have different requirements, re how much sun or shade, soil pH, moisture levels etc. Your best bet would be to figure out what kind you have, then you can look up what it needs.

Overall ferns as a group tend to prefer dappled shade, somewhat acidic, very organic soil and lots of moisture--soil moisture and air humidity. (Though as noted there's a lot of variability in this.)

In general to get plants to their optimum size you need to be sure you have plenty of soil fertility. Ferns aren't real heavy feeders, so any rich organic soil should do for that and you don't want to fertilize this time of year, just mulch well. Ferns tend to grow on forest floors with lots of leaf mold/ humus.

But there's a genetic factor too. Plants have a built in size and shape. Good soil fertility will get it to its optimum size, but you can't turn a little fern into a big one, so again you need to know what you have. For example ostrich ferns and royal ferns tend to grow 4-5 feet tall. Maidenhair ferns tend to grow 1.5 -2' tall. Nothing you can do will make a maidenhair fern grow to the size of an ostrich fern.

PS Welcome to the forum! Glad you found us..

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Water and fertilizer are your best bets along with a little more sun shine, they like some sun. I have dug up and transplant lots of them, this is the best time as it is the rain season to do it.

wogaswoga
Newly Registered

I'm not sure what type of fern they are, but they are native to the SF area and they grow wild. I've noticed that some of them are bigger than the others, but I haven't seen one that goes taller than a foot. My goal is to give them the best chance to grow to their potential.

Assuming nature has already planted them in the "right place", what type of fertilizer do they like and when is the best time to feed them? Do they like horse or chicken manure (both I have access to)?

Thanks!

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Sunset Publishing is in Menlo Park, and their gardens (open to the public!) are also in Menlo Park.

Sunset's Western Garden Book is the reference of choice for many gardeners in the western states and provinces. Maybe there is information on this fern in it?

Or maybe you can get in touch with a native plant society in the Bay Area; they would surely be able to give you specific information.

Cynthia
(sorry, just a drive-by...)

tomf
Super Green Thumb

Post a photo.

I have lots of ferns that are up to my chest.

Return to “Gardening with Native Plant Species”