Kary
Newly Registered

Ontario native astilbes or alternatives?

My sister really likes the idea of a using several different coloured astilbes for a heavily shaded, moist section of her new garden. I'd like to encourage her to use Ontario natives, but I'm a little confused about the native status of astilbes. It seems there might be a native astilbe (Astilbe biternata) - but not necessarily the ones she sees in local nurseries.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

MaineDesigner
Green Thumb

Astilbe biternata seems to be most common in the SE U.S. It doesn't naturally exist in Maine as far as I know but I've heard reports of isolated populations in southern Ontario and Quebec so it may be legitimately native for you.
I have grown it here in Maine and it seems to be cold hardy. It is larger and and a bit more open in structure than the garden Astilbes (which are different species). It blooms a creamy white. My experience is limited but it seems to want slightly more shade than the garden cultivars, with moist but well drained soil.

ecomike1

Hi Kary,

Astilbes are a nice touch to the garden, but I tend to agree with you about the native route.

Have you heard of Tiarella cordifolia 'Foam Flower' It's similar to Heuchera? It's native to most of Ontario. I've used it on many occasions in gardens for my clients. Tiarella likes it to be moist and slightly acidic - which most soils are.

Another sub is Aruncus dioicus 'Goats Beard' This Plant is a bit larger then Foam Flower, but has a similar flower to Astilbe It's blooming right now (June 17th) quite magnificent!

You can find both of these plants in most nurseries.

Happy Gardening, and Good luck!

Return to “Gardening with Native Plant Species”