aboekman
Newly Registered

Weed or Wildflower?

These guys are springing up in our wildflower garden and we don't recognize them. Are they flowers or weeds?

[img]https://farm4.static.flickr.com/3382/3477454593_c0f4108f5d_b.jpg[/img]

Thanks so much. We'll wait to yank them until we hear back. :wink:

hendi_alex
Super Green Thumb

What's the difference? My volunteer weeds add just as much to the diversity of our wildflower garden as the flowering plants themselves. I only remove the most aggressive, large intruders such as dog fennel and a couple of other large invasive species.

aboekman
Newly Registered

Good point. I guess I'm not concerned if it is a "weed" or not. But does it flower or just take up space? If they don't really do much flower-wise they need to go. As of now they are taking up about 50% of the real estate. Thanks so much for your quick response. I really do appreciate it.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I don't know what it is... it's a lot easier to identify things once they flower. If I have something popping up in my garden that I'm unfamiliar with, I usually leave at least some to flower so I can figure it out. But if it's taking up 50% of your space, that argues that it may well be something invasive. If it were me, I'd pull most of it and save a few until they flower (it WILL flower, just may not be very showy), then you can decide if it's something you want to keep or not.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Chenopodium leptophyllum I believe; narrow leaved goosefoot (that basal foliage gave it away) or lambs quarters to some...

A weed plant to most around here, it is actually used as a seed grain in some parts (C. quinoa is the Quinoa that is getting popular as a rice like grain). The greens are also edible but collect nitrates and oxalic acids in the same manner as spinach annd are therefore best collected wild or grown organically.

It is an agressive plant, so you might want to think twice about letting it get started with your wildflowers...

HG

Return to “Gardening with Native Plant Species”