applestar
Mod

Native plant sales starting up (rubbing hands together)

Went to Pinelands Preservation Alliance Native Plant Sale on Saturday

Bought:
(2) low bush blueberries (Vaccinium angustifolium)
(1) Arrowleaf viburnum (Viburnum dentatum)
(2) Northern Bayberries (Myrica pensylvanica)
(1) Red Am. Holly (Ilex opaca)
(2) Purple Eupatorium (Eupatorium purpureum)
(2) Horsemint (Monarda punctata)

Planning to go to Bowman's Hill next month. Possibly Tylar Arboretum this Sat as well but they're not all native and most of the native plants on their list are on Bowman's list. However, according to Tylar's plant list, they'll be selling Rhubarb 'Canadian Red'.... 8)

Here's a [url=https://www.pennsylvaniahorticulturalsociety.org/aboutus/plantsaleandevents.html]plant sale list[/url] compiled by Pa. Hort. Soc.

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

AS, Bowman's Hill rocks. I used to peddle plants down that way; it's just up the road from Washington's Crossing (where he stood up in the boat while they made ice cubes in front of him; you've all seen the picture).
Some great plants there although they push the native range around a little (beautiful Cammas, a west coaster).

Your viburnum is arrowwood, not leaf (this was literally the plant Amerinds used for shafts, and you can see why already, I bet). I was excited to see horsemint on your list; I will want seed this fall... :wink:

So other than Pinus virginiana, what is the definitive plant of the Pinebarrens?

HG

applestar
Mod

Your viburnum is arrowwood, not leaf
:oops: I knew that :oops:
Do you ever sit and look and look at what you've written, just knowing SOMETHING was wrong, but you can't spot it? :roll: Thanks for spotting it. :wink:

If you're serious about those seeds, send me a reminder when the time comes. :D

The Helpful Gardener
Mod

Will do...

S

valleytreeman

[quote="
So other than Pinus virginiana, what is the definitive plant of the Pinebarrens?

HG[/quote]

P. rigida and P. enchinata was probably more difinitive than P. Virginiana. Of late the exclusion of fire for decades has now tilted the "Pine" barrens towards the oaks. At least this was my observations the last time I drove through them about 4 years ago.

Return to “Gardening with Native Plant Species”